Old January 6th 05, 03:22 AM
Rob

Default Fired from previous job....disclose on interview???

I apologize if this thread is somewhat off topic but it does relate to
income and the caliber of knowledge I find here seems to resonate of
quality.

I was fired from my previous job of well over a year in HR admin for
performance issues. (something I could argue against). I now have an
interview with a respected HR consulting firm for a job that would be a
a great move for me but I am DREADING the question about what happened
at your last job? I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place..If I
say I was fired and try to explain what happened I believe that will be
a huge mark against me and I won't get the job. If I am not honest,
it's possible they could check with my previous employer and find out I
lied and then I'm definitly out. What is the conventional wisdom on
this issue?

Can anyone tell me what is the law regarding what a former employer may
disclose about someone that was fired? Can they only say if they are
eligble for rehire? Can they disclose that a former employee was
terminated. I'd hate to lie but if a former company can only confirm
the dates of my employment I feel like it's no one's business why my
employment ended with them. Can someone please advise?? Thanks in advance

RJ

--
Please remove no spam when replying.

"Her personality left something to be desired. Namely, a personality."
-Woody Allen

Old January 6th 05, 04:15 AM
SoCalMike

Rob wrote:
Can anyone tell me what is the law regarding what a former employer may
disclose about someone that was fired?

technically, they can only say that you worked for them for that period
of time. depends on who they get in contact with. they might get a
"chatty cathy" who gives em more info than theyre legally required to know.
Old January 6th 05, 04:23 AM
Joe

Tell them you were downsized.

--

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com
Northern, NJ

Born once - Die twice. Born twice - Die only once. Your choice...

Have unwanted music CDs or DVDs of any type? I can use them for our
charity. eMail me privately for details. Donation receipts available.

My eBay Stuff: http://tinyurl.com/4hpnc

Old January 6th 05, 04:30 AM
Bob Ward

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:22:39 -0600, Rob
wrote:

[...]

If you claim to be an HR admin, you were probably fired for not
knowing the basics of your job - this is one of those basics. If you
don't know and cannot find the answer, you might be better off
flipping burgers.

Old January 6th 05, 04:38 AM
George Grapman

SoCalMike wrote:
Rob wrote:

Can anyone tell me what is the law regarding what a former employer
may disclose about someone that was fired?

technically, they can only say that you worked for them for that period
of time. depends on who they get in contact with. they might get a
"chatty cathy" who gives em more info than theyre legally required to know.

Have you considered contacting the company and asking for a positive
report? If not , the truth might be the best way.

--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell

Old January 6th 05, 04:50 AM
Gordon Reeder

Rob wrote in
:

[...]

90% of an iceberg is underwater. And so should the information
that you choose to divalge.
Q: Were you fired from your last position?
A: Yes, I was let go.
And leave it at that. The question may be a stress question
designed to see how you react. The less you say in the matter
the better. Of course if they persue the matter then you have to
tell them more. But even then, the less said the better.
Q: Can you tell me why you were let go?
A: Well, they said that I wasn't up to their performance
expectations. But as you can see by my resume, I made some
significant contributions. (you do have some contributions while
you where there, don't you??), So I am a bit baffled as to the
real reason.

See how that's done??

--
Just my $0.02 worth. Hope it helps
Gordon Reeder

Hey Dubya!
Unity means let's try to meet each other halfway
Old January 6th 05, 05:01 AM
Rod Speed

SoCalMike wrote in
message ...
Rob wrote:

Can anyone tell me what is the law regarding what a former employer may
disclose about someone that was fired?

technically, they can only say that you worked for them for that period of
time.

Bull****.

They are legally entitled to say what happened.

Old January 6th 05, 05:21 AM
George Grapman

Rod Speed wrote:
SoCalMike wrote in
message ...

Rob wrote:

Can anyone tell me what is the law regarding what a former employer may
disclose about someone that was fired?

technically, they can only say that you worked for them for that period of
time.

Bull****.

They are legally entitled to say what happened.

True, but fear of litigation has some companies limiting information
to confirming that the person worked there.

--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell
Old January 6th 05, 05:28 AM
TNSAF

SoCalMike wrote:
Rob wrote:
Can anyone tell me what is the law regarding what a former employer
may disclose about someone that was fired?

technically, they can only say that you worked for them for that
period of time. depends on who they get in contact with. they might get a
"chatty cathy" who gives em more info than theyre legally required to
know.

Here (where I hang my hat) we try to carefully choose words that get the
message across in a factual but clinical way.

....or as one of my former managers did;

Q - "Can I get a reference for Mr. X"

A - "I can't personally give you a reference, but if you would like to call
(###) ###-#### they should be able to answer your questions...."

Q - "Is that your Personnel Department?"

A- "No, Security!"

Old January 6th 05, 05:48 AM
HDTV-slingr

wrote:

Can anyone tell me what is the law regarding what a former employer may
disclose about someone that was fired? Can they only say if they are
eligble for rehire?

I think that is true. But think about it... the potential employer
contacts the former employer, asks "Is this person eligible for
re-hire" and the former employer says "NO NO NO NO
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" followed by a hearty laugh. The
potential employer also has a hearty laugh and says "Well, ok then, I
think I get the point" :-)

Completely legal and believe me, it's done. I speak from the
standpoint of the "former employer"... been there, done that, got the
t-shirt. Good luck with your interview, btw.