Old February 17th 08, 12:29 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy
[email protected] bigjimpack@gmail.com is offline

Default How many therms (natural gas) do you use per day (per month)?

For the past billing cycle, I used 5.96 therms per day. Last year I
used 6.81 per day. Average temp was 37 F both years. I have replaced
half of the windows in our mid '30's home. I think this helped. I
will replace the others this year and see if I can lower usage more.

On Feb 16, 3:24*pm, "Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator"
wrote:
I'm curious how I compare with others in my natural gas usage.

I used 120 therms in the past 30 days (about 4 therms per day).
HOW MANY THERMS DID YOU USE LAST MONTH?

I do realize that there are _many_ factors that affect usage but there is
only one number for your final usage. That's what I'd like to compare.

Old February 17th 08, 12:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy
Gary Heston Gary Heston is offline

In article ,
Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator wrote:
I'm curious how I compare with others in my natural gas usage.

I used 120 therms in the past 30 days (about 4 therms per day).
HOW MANY THERMS DID YOU USE LAST MONTH?

Mine isn't billed in therms, but in cubic feet; between the two houses,
21600 in January.

I do realize that there are _many_ factors that affect usage but there is
only one number for your final usage. That's what I'd like to compare.

Since we just went through water usage, let me preempt the next inquiries:

Electricity 1,011 KWH
Sewer $23.04
Garbage pickup $29.00
Tax $15.01

As above, that's for two houses, total of about 1900 square feet, one
occupant.

Gary

--
Gary Heston http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

We live in amazing times, when one person can invent both the Internet
and global warming, then get awarded a "peace prize".
Old February 17th 08, 01:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy
Marsha[_2_] Marsha[_2_] is offline

Gary Heston wrote:
Mine isn't billed in therms, but in cubic feet; between the two houses,
21600 in January.

Since we just went through water usage, let me preempt the next inquiries:

Electricity 1,011 KWH
Sewer $23.04
Garbage pickup $29.00
Tax $15.01

As above, that's for two houses, total of about 1900 square feet, one
occupant.

Gary

Is your garbage pickup through city workers or a private entity? It
seems a lot of people on this group pay more for garbage pickup than we
do, which is $30.00 every 3 months, unlimited. We are in a suburb. The
nearest city used to get free pickup, but they now have to pay an extra
$10.00/month.

Marsha/Ohio

Old February 17th 08, 01:41 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy
[email protected] pepita@prodigy.net is offline

wrote:
I'm curious how I compare with others in my natural gas usage.

I used 120 therms in the past 30 days (about 4 therms per day).
HOW MANY THERMS DID YOU USE LAST MONTH?

My bill states 27 days in the last billing period. 158ccf is the
amount of natural gas that I am being billed for. Is that the same
unit you are referencing?
Old February 17th 08, 01:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

On Feb 16, 8:17*pm, Marsha wrote:
Is your garbage pickup through city workers or a private entity? *It
seems a lot of people on this group pay more for garbage pickup than we
do, which is $30.00 every 3 months, unlimited.

In my city (CT, USA) we have to contract with a private company for
trash removal. There are about a half dozen companies to choose from,
and the price is very close for all of them We pay $24 per month for
weekly trash and recycling pickup.

Old February 17th 08, 01:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy
[email protected] pepita@prodigy.net is offline

On Feb 16, 8:41*pm, "
wrote:

My bill states 27 days in the last billing period. *158ccf is the
amount of natural gas that I am being billed for. *Is that the same
unit you are referencing?

I should probably have mentioned 30degrees F average daily temperature
for this billing period. 2200 Square foot house, everyone home all
day long, this includes heat and hot water.
Old February 17th 08, 02:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy
Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator is offline

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 23:53:17 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:
What is therm? Here in Alberta measurement is by the Giga Joule.

Hi Tony Hwang in Australia,

The average American houshold (supposedly) uses:
43,302 kJ/day = 41,045 Btu/day = 0.4105 therm/day
to heat their hot water (kindly calculated by Jeff at
62 US gallons of water raised 80F (27C) each day or 2 1/2
CCF/month.

That would be, in Australian ... something like
0.043302 GigaJoule's per day or 15.8 Giga Joules per year (1.32 Giga Joules
per month on average) just to heat the hot water.

Do you Australians use about 1.32 Giga Joules per month for your hot water?

As for the quantity, 62 US gallons a day would be 1,886 gallons per month,
or 7,135 liters a month in Australian.

This is just for your hot-water needs (120 degree F or 49 degree Celcius
setting on your hot-water heater thermostat).

Does that sound reasonable in Australia?

Old February 17th 08, 02:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy
Nate Nagel[_2_] Nate Nagel[_2_] is offline

Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator wrote:
I used 120 therms in the past 30 days (about 4 therms per day).
HOW MANY THERMS DID YOU USE LAST MONTH?

I should note that California alots only 2 therms a day for baseline costs
of about $1.22 per therm (plus 5 cents per therm PPP Surcharge); so
apparently I'm consuming double the natural gas energy California allows
(regardless of home size or number of people) for base rates.

The over-baseline charges are $1.37 per therm plus that same 5 cents per
therm additional charge for poor people (i.e., the California Gas PPP
Surcharge).

Does ANYONE actually use just 2 therms per day for their gas furnace and
hot-water heater for two people living in a small 1,500 sqft house?

I use about 5-7 a month for two people in a small house during the
summer, but that includes a stove and dryer as well. I think about 90 a
month for a cold winter month, and this is in a 1948 house that is
pretty much uninsulated except for the attic floor.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old February 17th 08, 02:22 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy
Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator is offline

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 02:08:39 GMT, Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 23:53:17 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:
What is therm? Here in Alberta measurement is by the Giga Joule.

Hi Tony Hwang in Australia,

Oooooops. Canada.

I was thinking Australia when you said Alberta.

Dunno why ... but the math is the same in Albertian that I provided.
Old February 17th 08, 04:03 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy
Rick Blaine Rick Blaine is offline

Tony Hwang wrote:

What is therm?

Approximately 105 megajoules. It's a common billing unit in the US.