Old September 12th 04, 06:52 AM
pmbedard

Default Taxes>>>should we marry?

Wow - what a newsgroup!! I just read 52 posts on car keys
w/chips...more on that later...
Hi all! I'm 52, and divorced from my wife (28) for 6 years now. We
stayed together, and have 2 daughters, 9 and 4. I make $31k yearly,
and she just began teaching elementary school art, and earns about the
same (west GA). I usually claim the daughters as head of household,
and she files as a single. Now that she's finally graduated, our
income has doubled to approx. $62k (GROSS).
My questions concern whether the IRS will penalize us if we marry
before January, etc.
I have a small 401k, and that's it. We rent an apartment, so it's
obvious that we want things SIMPLE and do not want to get into any tax
deducting, etc.
I realize this is a question better directed at another newsgroup, but
hope you don't re-direct or shrug it off...any input, opinions
welcome...
thanks! :+) Paul

Old September 12th 04, 10:26 AM
Bobby

"pmbedard" wrote in message
m...
[...]

You got a 19 year old pregnant when you where 43? How did you pull that
one off?

Old September 12th 04, 03:51 PM
Don K

"pmbedard" wrote in message
m...
Wow - what a newsgroup!! I just read 52 posts on car keys
w/chips...more on that later...
Hi all! I'm 52, and divorced from my wife (28) for 6 years now. We
stayed together, and have 2 daughters, 9 and 4. I make $31k yearly,
and she just began teaching elementary school art, and earns about the
same (west GA). I usually claim the daughters as head of household,
and she files as a single. Now that she's finally graduated, our
income has doubled to approx. $62k (GROSS).
My questions concern whether the IRS will penalize us if we marry
before January, etc.

The biggest penalty would be to alter your life to accommodate
the ever-changing tax code.
How much are you talking about here, $200? Do whatever you're
going to do and don't worry about it.

Don