Old February 8th 08, 08:28 AM posted to alt.home.repair, misc.consumers.frugal-living
Anthony[_2_] Anthony[_2_] is offline

Default DIY liquid chlorinator

I live in Texas where septic systems are pretty well governed. They
require that the aerator systems be adequately chlorinated... which I
am grateful I don't have to smell my neighbors discharge. However, I
am becoming annoyed at spending $180+ every year for chlorine tablets
when I understand liquid bleach dispensers are also allowed by law.
However, these dispensers typically run $300 and look like PVC pipes I
could get from my local home supply stores. I want to try and do it
myself and save the $300 equipment/installation cost and start using
household bleach.

Question 1) Can anyone point me to plans how to build my own?
Question 2) From my research, it appears ~1 gallon/month is the
typical bleach usage. Does this sound correct to people who already
use/know about bleach dispensers?
Question 3) Absent any plans, and believing the usage is ~1 gallon/
month, I believe I could cap a PVC pipe to hold some bleach and
integrate an IV drip dispenser. According to my math (which I won't
go into here unless requested), I figure I can set the IV drip on a 60
drop/ml to 1 drop every 11.4 seconds to dispense ~1 gallon of bleach/
month. By placing this dispenser between my two tanks (where I
currently drop the chlorine tablets) I expect I would achieve
approximately the same mixing effect as I do with tablets. The end
effect of this is for $20 I could build my dispenser and start using
household bleach saving an additional $150+ each year.

Thoughts/Corrections/Answers?

Thanks in advance!

Old February 8th 08, 01:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair, misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected] giroup01@videotron.ca is offline

Thoughts/Corrections/Answers?

http://www.ezpool.com/index.htm
Old February 8th 08, 01:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Frank[_7_] Frank[_7_] is offline

Anthony wrote:
[...]

Having worked as a chemist in industry, I can tell you that continuous
processes require continuous monitoring. I would prefer a system that
did not always need my attention.
Old February 8th 08, 06:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Rod Speed[_1_] Rod Speed[_1_] is offline

Frank [email protected] wrote:
Anthony wrote:
[...]

Doesnt mean that the continuous monitoring has to be done by an individual.

Old February 8th 08, 11:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair, misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Feb 8, 7:18*am, Frank [email protected] wrote:
Anthony wrote:
[...]

did not always need my attention.- Hide quoted text -

Agreed. Right now I'm dropping chlorine tablets in nearly every
weekend. Talk about your systems that need attention! :-(

Old February 8th 08, 11:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Li Li is offline

Not knowing how your existing system is set-up, your main problem will be to
regulate the chlorine to the flow. Generally with tablets, the higher the
flow, the faster they dissolve. If your system does not batch discharge, you
will want to regulate the chlorine so that more (or rather faster drop rate)
is injected during peak flow periods in order to achieve proper disinfection
(and odor control). You want to keep the chlorine at about 1.0 PPM to 4.0
PPM to achieve disinfection (closer to 1.0 PPM is better). You need to base
your usage (volume required) calculation on flow and usage as opposed to an
average of 1 gallon/month.
The other problem you have to deal with is that liquid chlorine injection
systems do have a tendancy to clog under certain circumstances.
You will still have to conduct maintainence of the system on a regular
basis.
Don't know any plans offhand but try googling it might just work.

Old February 9th 08, 12:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Richard J Kinch Richard J Kinch is offline

Anthony writes:

Thoughts/Corrections/Answers?

There is no way to meter liquid chlorinator without regular attention and
maintenance.
Old February 9th 08, 01:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Lou[_1_] Lou[_1_] is offline

"Anthony" wrote in message
I live in Texas where septic systems are pretty well governed. They
require that the aerator systems be adequately chlorinated... which I
am grateful I don't have to smell my neighbors discharge. However, I
am becoming annoyed at spending $180+ every year for chlorine tablets
when I understand liquid bleach dispensers are also allowed by law.
However, these dispensers typically run $300 and look like PVC pipes I
could get from my local home supply stores. I want to try and do it
myself and save the $300 equipment/installation cost and start using
household bleach.

Could be much worse, around here being connected to the public sewer system
costs twice what you're paying for tablets, maybe more.

[...]

I don't have any kind of picture of what you're driving at, but a few
questions pop to mind.

Is this stuff located outside? What do you do about freezing? And will a
gallon of bleach in this thing hold onto the chlorine or will the chlorine
evaporate off, leaving you carefully dripping water into your system. And
lastly, since you say septic systems are pretty well governed, what are the
legal requirements? Would doing something like this mean you are installing
a proprietary treatment system that needs to be tested and licensed? Will
something like this require you to have a maintenance contract, or get
training from a licensed installer?

I thought there were exacting requirements for what the chlorine does -
something like kill 99% of bacteria in the effluent within a stated period
of time. It's a bit of a stretch to think that a drop of bleach every 11
seconds will do that.

Old May 23rd 16, 07:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Km Km is offline

replying to Anthony, Km wrote:
I just bought one. They are cheap to buy considering they will pay for
themselves in a short time. I made a short video on how I installed mine. I
bought mine made by LBC. https://youtu.be/ltuUtu5qKiU

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...or-286735-.htm

Old February 19th 18, 08:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Kevin Withers Kevin Withers is offline

replying to Km, Kevin Withers wrote:
Not sure why anyone would pay the 200 bucks they want for these system. Just
make your own venturi that is all you are paying for. You can test how
effective it is using a fish tank pump and air. It is the concept they are
using and sell for 200+ dollars. I like this idea of putting the holding
reservoir inside the tank so you don't have dig out a trench for it.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...or-890107-.htm