Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old February 16th 08, 08:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy
Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Jan 2008
Posts: 109
Default How many therms (natural gas) do you use per day (per month)?

I'm curious how I compare with others in my natural gas usage.

I used 120 therms in the past 30 days (about 4 therms per day).
HOW MANY THERMS DID YOU USE LAST MONTH?

I do realize that there are _many_ factors that affect usage but there is
only one number for your final usage. That's what I'd like to compare.

  #2   Report Post  
Old February 16th 08, 09:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy
Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Jan 2008
Posts: 109
Default How many therms (natural gas) do you use per day (per month)?

I used 120 therms in the past 30 days (about 4 therms per day).
HOW MANY THERMS DID YOU USE LAST MONTH?


I should note that California alots only 2 therms a day for baseline costs
of about $1.22 per therm (plus 5 cents per therm PPP Surcharge); so
apparently I'm consuming double the natural gas energy California allows
(regardless of home size or number of people) for base rates.

The over-baseline charges are $1.37 per therm plus that same 5 cents per
therm additional charge for poor people (i.e., the California Gas PPP
Surcharge).

Does ANYONE actually use just 2 therms per day for their gas furnace and
hot-water heater for two people living in a small 1,500 sqft house?
  #3   Report Post  
Old February 16th 08, 10:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy
Jeff[_7_] Jeff[_7_] is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Dec 2007
Posts: 345
Default How many therms (natural gas) do you use per day (per month)?

Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator wrote:
I'm curious how I compare with others in my natural gas usage.

I used 120 therms in the past 30 days (about 4 therms per day).
HOW MANY THERMS DID YOU USE LAST MONTH?

I do realize that there are _many_ factors that affect usage but there is
only one number for your final usage. That's what I'd like to compare.



Well, how cold is your climate? How well insulated is your house? What
is your indoor temperature?

I'm in a mild climate (~ 2700 degree days a year, that's cooler than
LA and warmer than San Francisco) with nightime average lows in the
30's. Currently I'm all electric, with electric space heaters and am
living in about half of a 2000 SF house. I used 850 kWhrs or about 30
therms last month and I think it may have historically been a bit above
average in temps.

Now, I actively try to reduce consumption (I'm in a 1920 house). Your
useage for a mild climate seems high to me. Not for a cold climate though.

Jeff
  #4   Report Post  
Old February 16th 08, 10:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy
Colbyt Colbyt is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Feb 2008
Posts: 9
Default How many therms (natural gas) do you use per day (per month)?


"Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator" wrote in
message . ..
I'm curious how I compare with others in my natural gas usage.

I used 120 therms in the past 30 days (about 4 therms per day).
HOW MANY THERMS DID YOU USE LAST MONTH?

I do realize that there are _many_ factors that affect usage but there is
only one number for your final usage. That's what I'd like to compare.


We use about 100MCF per year for 2600 square feet. We used 22.3 or almost a
1/4 of our yearly usage last month.

That was with a 37.7 average daily temperature. That should be our coldest 4
weeks of the winter. Knock on wood!

To be fair, I was home more during the day than normal so I over-rode the
setback more.

Once upon a time I could convert therms to MCF but that is long since
forgotten.


  #5   Report Post  
Old February 16th 08, 10:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy
Rick Blaine Rick Blaine is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 35
Default How many therms (natural gas) do you use per day (per month)?

"Colbyt" wrote:

Once upon a time I could convert therms to MCF but that is long since
forgotten.


10.31 therms = 1 MCF


  #6   Report Post  
Old February 16th 08, 11:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy
Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Jan 2008
Posts: 109
Default How many therms (natural gas) do you use per day (per month)?

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:14:46 -0800, Anthony Matonak wrote:
I'm only one person but I average about 5 therms a month.


Wow. 5 therms a month is extremely low, it seems to me.

The US Department of Energy assumes the "average" houshold uses a bit less
than 1/2 a therm a day *just* for the water heater alone!

43,302 kJ/day = 41,045 Btu/day = 0.4105 therm/day

That would be 15 therms a month just for hot water for the average
household in America. I wonder if Europe uses the same amount?

REFERENCES:
Calculating water heater costs for meaningful comparisons
http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclo...ater_cost.html
365 0.4105/EF fuel cost (therm) = estimated annual cost of operation

Review of hot water heaters
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/ho...rs/review.html
365 X 0.4105/EF X Fuel Cost (therm) = estimated annual cost of operation
  #7   Report Post  
Old February 16th 08, 11:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy
CJT CJT is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Jul 2007
Posts: 20
Default How many therms (natural gas) do you use per day (per month)?

Colbyt wrote:
"Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator" wrote in
message . ..

I'm curious how I compare with others in my natural gas usage.

I used 120 therms in the past 30 days (about 4 therms per day).
HOW MANY THERMS DID YOU USE LAST MONTH?

I do realize that there are _many_ factors that affect usage but there is
only one number for your final usage. That's what I'd like to compare.



We use about 100MCF per year for 2600 square feet. We used 22.3 or almost a
1/4 of our yearly usage last month.

That was with a 37.7 average daily temperature. That should be our coldest 4
weeks of the winter. Knock on wood!

To be fair, I was home more during the day than normal so I over-rode the
setback more.

Once upon a time I could convert therms to MCF but that is long since
forgotten.


FWIW, we used 43 MCF last year. About half that was for cooking and hot
water, and the other half for heating (but it's pretty warm here in
Texas).

--
The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an attempt to
minimize spam. Our true address is of the form .
  #8   Report Post  
Old February 16th 08, 11:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy
CJT CJT is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Jul 2007
Posts: 20
Default How many therms (natural gas) do you use per day (per month)?

Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator wrote:

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:14:46 -0800, Anthony Matonak wrote:

I'm only one person but I average about 5 therms a month.



Wow. 5 therms a month is extremely low, it seems to me.

The US Department of Energy assumes the "average" houshold uses a bit less
than 1/2 a therm a day *just* for the water heater alone!

43,302 kJ/day = 41,045 Btu/day = 0.4105 therm/day

That would be 15 therms a month just for hot water for the average
household in America.


FWIW, we're apparently almost exactly average.

I wonder if Europe uses the same amount?

REFERENCES:
Calculating water heater costs for meaningful comparisons
http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclo...ater_cost.html
365 0.4105/EF fuel cost (therm) = estimated annual cost of operation

Review of hot water heaters
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/ho...rs/review.html
365 X 0.4105/EF X Fuel Cost (therm) = estimated annual cost of operation



--
The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an attempt to
minimize spam. Our true address is of the form .
  #9   Report Post  
Old February 16th 08, 11:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Mar 2007
Posts: 23
Default How many therms (natural gas) do you use per day (per month)?

Jeff wrote:
Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator wrote:

I'm curious how I compare with others in my natural gas usage.

I used 120 therms in the past 30 days (about 4 therms per day).
HOW MANY THERMS DID YOU USE LAST MONTH?

I do realize that there are _many_ factors that affect usage but there is
only one number for your final usage. That's what I'd like to compare.




Well, how cold is your climate? How well insulated is your house? What
is your indoor temperature?

I'm in a mild climate (~ 2700 degree days a year, that's cooler than
LA and warmer than San Francisco) with nightime average lows in the
30's. Currently I'm all electric, with electric space heaters and am
living in about half of a 2000 SF house. I used 850 kWhrs or about 30
therms last month and I think it may have historically been a bit above
average in temps.

Now, I actively try to reduce consumption (I'm in a 1920 house). Your
useage for a mild climate seems high to me. Not for a cold climate though.

Jeff

Hi,
What is therm? Here in Alberta measurement is by the Giga Joule.
  #10   Report Post  
Old February 16th 08, 11:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy
Jeff[_7_] Jeff[_7_] is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Dec 2007
Posts: 345
Default How many therms (natural gas) do you use per day (per month)?

Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:14:46 -0800, Anthony Matonak wrote:
I'm only one person but I average about 5 therms a month.


Wow. 5 therms a month is extremely low, it seems to me.

The US Department of Energy assumes the "average" houshold uses a bit less
than 1/2 a therm a day *just* for the water heater alone!


That is really low. But how much hot water do you use and how well
insulated is the tank? Also, that average is probably for a 4 person
household.

43,302 kJ/day = 41,045 Btu/day = 0.4105 therm/day


OK. That's about 62 gallons of water raised 80F each day (That's 2 1/2
CCF / month), not including losses. An good insulated blanket will cut
tank thermal losses dramatically for much less cost than a tankless.

That would be 15 therms a month just for hot water for the average
household in America. I wonder if Europe uses the same amount?


Nobody wastes energy like the US.

Jeff

REFERENCES:
Calculating water heater costs for meaningful comparisons
http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclo...ater_cost.html
365 0.4105/EF fuel cost (therm) = estimated annual cost of operation

Review of hot water heaters
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/ho...rs/review.html
365 X 0.4105/EF X Fuel Cost (therm) = estimated annual cost of operation



Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Natural HAH! The Real Bev[_1_] Frugal living 9 August 12th 06 02:17 AM
VoIP - Sign up today & Receive 1 Month Free Plus a $5 credit each month BRight777 UK discounts & bargains 0 August 6th 06 12:45 AM
VoIP - Sign up today & Receive 1 Month Free Plus a $5 credit each month B-Right Frugal living 0 August 5th 06 11:00 PM
Free mobile and phone and FREE 12 MONTH CONTRACT(!) 1000mins/month off-peak Kevster UK discounts & bargains 16 June 7th 06 02:27 PM
why have natural gas? wle Frugal living 81 June 5th 04 07:00 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 BargainBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Bargains and Discounts"

 

Copyright © 2017