Old May 27th 09, 08:39 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Easy homemade yogurt in bulk

I have recently refined my methods for making yogurt.

I decided that the heating process I had been doing to kill bacteria shouldn't
be necessary if I used fresh pasturized milk.

I make the yogurt in the same containers my milk comes in. I start by putting
the unopened bottle into my microwave, and nuking it until the milk gets up to
105-110 F. Shake it occasionally during heating to distribute the heat. I then
add 1/4 cup or so of my last yogurt batch, or unflavored commercial yogurt to
the bottle. Brown cow yogurt is my favorite starter - it gets really thick.
Sometimes, I also add whatever I can fit of dried milk to the bottle too, to
thicken it up a bit. Then, I shake it up thoroughly.

I then put the milk bottle into a picnic cooler, usually 2 at a time, and add
110F water to the cooler to surround the yogurt jugs, to keep them warm. 5-8
hours later, the yogurt is ready for refrigeration. Check the temp of the water
every couple hours, and warm it up by replacing some with hot water as needed.
You want to keep it above 100 and below 110. Or, use an old aquarium heater to
keep it warm. The old mechanical ones easily adjust up to this temp range.

The yogurt I get is as good as I used to, without the heating/cooling process
that used to take a lot of time. Plus, I use a new container each time, provided
free with the milk.