Old May 28th 09, 09:46 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected] jlinn@idirect.com is offline

Default Savings on food

On May 28, 6:39*am, "Evelyn" wrote:
"The Henchman" wrote in message

"Evelyn" wrote in message
Savings on food are sort of my specialty. * I don't know if anyone is
interested in frugal recipes and food tips, but if someone asks, I will
answer if it is something I know.

--

Evelyn

I'm interested in trying a local diet menu for a whole month. *Like a 100
mile diet. *In Canada we don't get access to our own fresh foods all the
time so it's tough, but I really would like to try a 100 mile diet for a
"frugual diet".

Any tips????

Now what exactly is a "100 mile" diet? * I'm an old lady, so if this is a
modern concept you'll need to explain it.

Eating locally is difficult in northern climates in the winter, unless you
really work at it all summer long, putting up canned goods, drying local
fruits, and storing root vegetables etc. * I think that eating locally is
great, both health wise and money wise. * But few can carry it off for any
period of time unless it becomes your main effort in life. * I tried it
during the mid '80's when I was on a macrobiotic diet for a couple of years.
We managed it well with a lot of bean stews, and dried foods were available
in my area at the time, but there were times it was more trouble than it was
worth, and as it turned out, we really did miss having meat.... but then
that is another tale for another time.

So do tell me about the 100 mile diet.

There was an interesting newspaper article about the potential
pitfalls of a strict adherence to the 100 mile diet.

One of the things they mentioned was that it wasn't necessarily
greener. For example it takes more inputs (fertilizer etc) to get good
yields of strawberries in Ontario than it does in California, and even
when both are yielding their best, the California fields can yield 3
times the number of berries.

James

Old May 28th 09, 11:07 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Evelyn Evelyn is offline

"Evelyn" wrote in message
[...]

*********************

Hi James, the folks who espouse a macrobiotic diet (I don't) .....recommend
eating both seasonally and locally. That means that eating lettuce in the
winter is out. Likewise eating oranges in the winter (which is when they
are in season) are also out unless you live in Florida. I don't go that
far, but think that eating seasonally for your area is basically a decent
idea but not to extremes. It's only common sense to say that the really
out of season foods for your area ought to be indulged in only occasionally.
When you think how much the transportation costs to ship foods all over, you
can imagine it isn't a very cost effective way to eat anyway.

I am not a dietitian, but just a good old granny kind of a cook, who knows
how to get the most out of a food dollar.

--

Evelyn

"Since everything is but an apparition, perfect in being what it is, having
nothing to do with good or bad, acceptance or rejection, one may well burst
into laughter." -Longchenpa