Old May 25th 09, 08:14 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Dave Garland Dave Garland is offline

Default Does anyone ever use this group for FRUGAL LIVING ideas

Vic Smith wrote:

But those pitchers would be good for flour, rice, etc.
Anything that comes in a soft bag and easily spills.
Less clumsy than cannisters, especially if it pours.

It's a good idea. Myself, I use jars. Quart, half-gallon, or
widemouth gallon, depending on how much I've got to store. The lids
fit well enough to keep miller moths from getting into them. The
widemouth gallon jars are good for things like flour, because you can
scoop out of them. And I've got the jars on hand already, having
purchased food products in them. I prefer them to plastic because
they don't flex (OTOH, they're more breakable).

Once, in a fit of obsessive compulsiveness, I took a set of identical
pickle jars and labeled each with transfer letters (painted over with
with polyurethane to protect them).

Dave

Old May 25th 09, 08:49 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Rod Speed[_1_] Rod Speed[_1_] is offline

Vic Smith wrote:
On Mon, 25 May 2009 05:36:51 -0700 (PDT), Robert of St Louis
wrote:

On May 24, 1:34 pm, Vic Smith
wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2009 18:18:56 +0000 (UTC), elaich wrote:
Gordon wrote in
:

Some times. But it seems that the Usenet is a dying thing. Most
of the netizens have fled to Google or Yahoo.

They're not there, either. Most of those groups are long dead and
are sex spam traps.

This is the place for the topic of misc.consumers.frugal-living.
Nobody does it better.
For example, I'll reprise my finest hour.
"Get a cheap plastic pitcher that will hold a five pound bag of
sugar. Two-quart will do.
The kind with an air-tight lid you turn to close off the spout.
Dump the bag of sugar in it, and you'll never again spill sugar on
the countertop when filling the sugar bowl.
Keeps it from the humidity too."

That's a classic from maybe 5 years ago. Don't recall if I said it
the same way, but the essential truth of it remains.
It was an original idea of mine, and you'll find other similar ideas
by the fine people who come here to write of their experiences, and
pass on their wisdom.

Vic, I already do that. I put a label on stuff like that just in case I
pour out creamer or powdered milk instead. ( I have been guilty of that.)

My idea already spread from Chicago to St. Louis?!
Man, the internets are speedy!
I like the labeling idea, but since we only do it with sugar, we don't
label it.
But those pitchers would be good for flour, rice, etc.
Anything that comes in a soft bag and easily spills.
Less clumsy than cannisters, especially if it pours.

BTW, I bought a kitchen-type lidded plastic trash can for bagged dog food.

Yeah, I use one for the 10Kg sack of breadmix. Stops the mice gnawing into the sack.

Scoop stays in there with the dog food.

I use a 1L pitcher with an open top in the sack of breadmix as a
scoop, its about the right size for the 500g of mix used for each loaf.

Have a couple in the garage too. One for rags and another for oil-dry.

Plastic containers really keep things organized and handy.
Have to get them pretty cheap though to qualify for frugal.

Yeah, I use the rigid ones with a full pop out top, they show up at garage sales periodically.
http://clickclack.com/storageware_03...age=Page03.jpg, StacknSeal
Use them for almost everything, even a small bin to put the screw tops for the PETs used for beer.

Old May 25th 09, 08:50 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

Vic Smith wrote:
On Mon, 25 May 2009 05:36:51 -0700 (PDT), Robert of St Louis
wrote:

On May 24, 1:34 pm, Vic Smith
wrote:
[...]

http://clickclack.com/storageware_03...age=Page04.jpg,
Use them for almost everything, even a small bin to put the screw tops for the PETs used for beer.

Old May 25th 09, 09:20 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
h[_6_] h[_6_] is offline

wrote in message
On Sun, 24 May 2009 13:34:19 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Sun, 24 May 2009 18:18:56 +0000 (UTC), elaich wrote:

Gordon wrote in

I moved over to city-data and homesteading today. Got tired of
****head Rod and the continuous spam. Every once in while I'll check
here. A bunch of other groups are also totally ****ed up now.

That's why killfile is your friend.

Old May 25th 09, 10:24 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

On Mon, 25 May 2009 14:14:58 -0500, Dave Garland
wrote:

Vic Smith wrote:

But those pitchers would be good for flour, rice, etc.
Anything that comes in a soft bag and easily spills.
Less clumsy than cannisters, especially if it pours.

It's a good idea. Myself, I use jars. Quart, half-gallon, or
widemouth gallon, depending on how much I've got to store. The lids
fit well enough to keep miller moths from getting into them. The
widemouth gallon jars are good for things like flour, because you can
scoop out of them. And I've got the jars on hand already, having
purchased food products in them. I prefer them to plastic because
they don't flex (OTOH, they're more breakable).

Once, in a fit of obsessive compulsiveness, I took a set of identical
pickle jars and labeled each with transfer letters (painted over with
with polyurethane to protect them).

Whatever works, and free containers are.......free.
I've seen folks use baby food jars to keep small parts in.
Personally, I like the small clear plastic drawer cabinets for small
stuff like screws, bolts, nuts washers, o-rings, etc, etc, etc.
But they work for anything that commonly gets lost/misplaced.
Ever buy something twice because you can't find the first one?
Uh huh. Not too frugal.
Think they were first commonly marketed as "sewing cabinets."
The three main issues with them is getting them cheap, organizing them
and locating them.
The same cabinets can cost 3 times more depending on when and where
you buy them.
They should be organized where you don't have to pull more than a
couple drawers out to get what you're after. I like the ones that
have a variety of size drawers, so you can fit some of the bigger
stuff in there too.
If the cabinets are located where they are easily buried, they lose
most of their convenience. They should be hung on a wall.
When you talk of "obsessive compulsiveness" I take the charitable view
on that.
Putting some thought into what you're doing pays off.

--Vic

Old May 25th 09, 11:04 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:

Vic Smith wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I used small 250ml mixer soda cans as well, big advantage is that they dont break.

Personally, I like the small clear plastic drawer cabinets for small
stuff like screws, bolts, nuts washers, o-rings, etc, etc, etc.
But they work for anything that commonly gets lost/misplaced.

Not as cheap tho. I do use them for electronic parts etc.

Ever buy something twice because you can't find the first one?
Uh huh. Not too frugal.
Think they were first commonly marketed as "sewing cabinets."
The three main issues with them is getting them cheap, organizing them
and locating them.
The same cabinets can cost 3 times more depending on when and where
you buy them.
They should be organized where you don't have to pull more than a
couple drawers out to get what you're after. I like the ones that
have a variety of size drawers, so you can fit some of the bigger
stuff in there too.

I have a need for much bigger drawers as well, for stuff like the hair trimmer etc.

Currently I have most of that stuff in postal boxes, stacked up and labelled.

I really need some bigger drawers with the sort of adjustable dividers you
see in those aluminum cases with the dividers with slots every inch etc.

What I used at work was the big metal shelves with drawers intended
for punched cards. Havent gotten around to seeing if I can find those in
the second hand metal cupboard selles, likely I've left that too late now.

Been tempted to make some up myself out of sheet metal.
The drawers are a pretty simple welded folded metal system, just spot
welded. And those go into metal shelves that are also simple enough.

If the cabinets are located where they are easily buried, they
lose most of their convenience. They should be hung on a wall.

Dunno, something to be said for having them on wheels like
they do the drawers for workshop tools like spanners etc.

When you talk of "obsessive compulsiveness" I take the charitable view on that.

Putting some thought into what you're doing pays off.

Can produce a meltdown between the ears tho.

Old May 25th 09, 11:36 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected] hchickpea@hotmail.com is offline

On Mon, 25 May 2009 16:20:50 -0400, "h"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

On Sun, 24 May 2009 18:18:56 +0000 (UTC), elaich wrote:

Gordon wrote in

I moved over to city-data and homesteading today. Got tired of
****head Rod and the continuous spam. Every once in while I'll check
here. A bunch of other groups are also totally ****ed up now.

That's why killfile is your friend.

Nah, just a fairweather friend. When part of a post gets quoted, or a
reply is made to the idiot, or when he takes another nym, you still
have to live with his smelly droppings. From time to time I've tried
extensive filters. They end up being part of the problem.

Old May 26th 09, 02:22 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Gary Heston Gary Heston is offline

In article ,
h wrote:

.. .
wrote:

On Sun, 24 May 2009 18:18:56 +0000 (UTC), elaich wrote:

Gordon wrote in

I moved over to city-data and homesteading today. Got tired of
****head Rod and the continuous spam. Every once in while I'll check
here. A bunch of other groups are also totally ****ed up now.

That's why killfile is your friend.

Agreed. I killfiled Rod years ago, and once I figured out that the
recent flood of everything-for-sale spam was coming from one site,
that went into the global killfile.

However, these days, about 80% of all articles are getting dumped,
so the S/N ratio is pretty bad.

Gary

--
Gary Heston http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

"Behind every successful woman there is an astonished man"
General of the Army (four stars) Ann Dunwoody
Old May 26th 09, 04:00 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
JonquilJan JonquilJan is offline

I keep hoping subjects will get back to frugal living - so I keep checking.
somewhat an exercise in futility lately.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying