Old May 20th 09, 11:39 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Patricia Martin Steward[_2_] Patricia Martin Steward[_2_] is offline

Default Passport ripoffs

On Mon, 18 May 2009 18:36:58 -0700, The Real Bev
wrote:

CVS isn't a bad place to get the photo taken (chaper than the post office, when
they offer that service), but you can make your own picture if you follow the
instructions carefully. You may be able to take your own picture and then
print it at CVS in proper form.

Beware if you wear glasses -- I had mine taken elsewhere, and the post
office wouldn't accept it: too much glare.

--
January 20, 2009
The end of an error

Old May 21st 09, 06:33 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_6_] The Real Bev[_6_] is offline

wrote:

CVS isn't a bad place to get the photo taken (chaper than the post office, when
they offer that service), but you can make your own picture if you follow the
instructions carefully. You may be able to take your own picture and then
print it at CVS in proper form.

Beware if you wear glasses -- I had mine taken elsewhere, and the post
office wouldn't accept it: too much glare.

When we had it done CVS made us take off our glasses. I should have fought it,
but it just seemed like too much trouble -- the people were too dumb to argue
with. If I ever do it again I'll try to remember to tilt them down.

--
Cheers, Bev
"What's truly sad is that your vote counts the same as mine."
Old May 26th 09, 06:54 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected] y_p_w@hotmail.com is offline

On May 18, 6:36*pm, The Real Bev wrote:
Michael Black wrote:
On Mon, 18 May 2009, noel888 wrote:

It seems that June 1st is the date when one has to apply or get a new
passport or card they call it to travel to canada, some carribean isle
and etc. and charge $75 for it to $100. Now, I got a passport 4 years
ago when i went to Italy. They said it was good for 6 years. I went to
the gov website and there it seems one has to renew it for a fee of
$75. Boy, with the economy the way it is, the gov really knows how to
hike prices during these times for almost everything. ..subways in
NYC, water tax, real estate tax and etc...talk about bleeding us to
death..

The enemy of frugality is stupidity.

If you'd been paying attention, the new rule is about a need for
stronger ID when returning to the US. *That's already the case
with flying to the US, but come June 1st (and this is later than
the original date), you have to have a passport to get back into
the US. *But since that would be unfair, there is some card you
can get that serves the same purpose as a passport to get back
into the US for US citizens.

If you have a passport, you don't need the card.

OTOH, the card is handier to carry around than a passport. *Not sure if you can
get a card ONLY, or if you can only get one with a passport.

You need the card if you don't have a passport, don't want to
get one, but will be travelling outside the US.

BUT only to Mexico and Canada by land (or sea, I think -- not sure).

If countries like Canada required a passport to get in, then
there'd be no card since anyone travelling abroad would need
a passport. *But since there are still countries who are more
open than the US, there is a need for stronger ID for US citizens
who are travelling to countries that don't require a passport.
The card isn't for getting into the foreign country, it's for
getting back into the US.

Far worse than "government money grabs" are the people who
won't read properly and assume the worst.

CVS isn't a bad place to get the photo taken (chaper than the post office, when
they offer that service), but you can make your own picture if you follow the
instructions carefully. *You may be able to take your own picture and then
print it at CVS in proper form.

It's not that hard to take your own photo. The requirements are just
for a white background (a painted wall is enough) and a "natural
expression". The State Dept recommends that people who wear glasses
keep them on and point slightly down to avoid glare from camera
flashes. They also don't want any manufacturer's logos showing up
anywhere.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/guide/guide_2081.html

It's quite easy to get an acceptable photo with even an average
digital camera. The hard part is getting it into the correct form
(2x2" image with the head from 1" to 1-3/8" high). I once tried by
trial and error using photo tools, but it was a mess. I discovered a
service (http://www.epassportphoto.com) where you can upload a photo
and then select the section that conforms to the requirements. The
first times I used it they produced 6 identical 2x2" photos, but more
recent versions seem to create 5 plus a little advertisement for the
service. Then the photo sheet (suitable for a 4x6" print) is
downloaded in JPEG format. It's free, but I suppose they make a
little by referring their users to a preferred photo finishing service
that can mail the photo to the customer.

I take the produced JPEG to a photo lab (I'm peeved that my local
Target just got rid of their photo lab) and make a 4x6" print on real
wet-process photo paper. So far I haven't had any problems. I've
heard of some people doing this at some places that insist they must
charge a special "passport photo" price. It was less than 30 cents
each print and these are great for visa applications. I even had a
leftover that was recent enough (less than 6 months) and used it for
my passport card application.
Old May 26th 09, 01:09 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
George[_1_] George[_1_] is offline

Michael Black wrote:
[...]

AAA doesn't charge (at least in my area) for passport photos if you are
a mamber. I just got new ones made for a renewal a few months ago. In
and out in about 3 minutes.
Old May 27th 09, 02:49 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

George wrote:

AAA doesn't charge (at least in my area) for passport photos if you are
a mamber. I just got new ones made for a renewal a few months ago. In
and out in about 3 minutes.

FEH! I didn't know that! With luck I'll remember it for when I need to renew it.

--
Cheers, Bev
I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's

Old May 27th 09, 03:50 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Kev Haw Kev Haw is offline

From what I understand, Canadians entering the US will require a
passport or enhanced license effective June 1st, and Americans entering
Canada will also require a passport or enhanced license.
I'm a border-city Canadian and I was told by a Canadian Customs
officer that Canadian policy is to match any American restrictions on
Canadian citizens.
I don't know if this will be good on our end, as tourism thrives on
American visitors to Canada.
It will be interesting to see how packed the streets are in Niagara
Falls this summer...

Old May 27th 09, 04:45 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

On May 26, 6:49*pm, The Real Bev wrote:
George wrote:

* AAA doesn't charge (at least in my area) for passport photos if you are

a mamber. I just got new ones made for a renewal a few months ago. In
and out in about 3 minutes.

FEH! *I didn't know that! *With luck I'll remember it for when I need to renew it.

It depends on the regional club. CSAA (Northern California, Nevada,
Utah) charges $10 for members and $15 for non-members to print two
2x2" photos. That's more than Walgreens. I'm not sure what they
would use, but I'm guessing a photo printer. They're not likely to
have a real wet-process photo lab.

I rather like doing it myself with my own equipment. I've done this
for others, and they've rejected photo after photo until they saw the
shot they wanted to use. I don't think that would work at Walgreens,
a photo lab, or AAA office. I remember getting a photo at a photo lab
using (now outdated) Polaroid instant equipment. They offered to take
another one if I didn't like the first one, but I felt a little guilty
if they had to waste an instant photo print.

Then try a family of 4-5 getting passports or visa photos together -
maybe even visas for multiple countries. Even at $8/pair that starts
getting pricey quickly. Then toss in trying to get everyone in the
same place during business hours. In the end, I think it's a lot
easier to just take the photos at home and then process them
together. 4x6" prints at a photo lab are 25-30 cents each.
Old May 27th 09, 02:54 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected] jlinn@idirect.com is offline

On May 26, 10:50*pm, (Kev Haw) wrote:
From what I understand, Canadians entering the US will require a
passport or enhanced license effective June 1st, and Americans entering
Canada will also require a passport or enhanced license.
* I'm a border-city Canadian and I was told by a Canadian Customs
officer that Canadian policy is to match any American restrictions on
Canadian citizens.
* I don't know if this will be good on our end, as tourism thrives on
American visitors to Canada.
It will be interesting to see how packed the streets are in Niagara
Falls this summer...

The pressure on Canada comes from the folks at Homeland Security. But
think of it this way, if we didn't match the restrictions, we could
get a bunch of American tourists who come across and then can't re-
enter the US. The publicity from such an incident would also damage
the tourism trade.

You may see more Canadian tourists as more Canadians decide to forgo
an expensive trip abroad and instead do "staycations". There are
certainly enough Canadians within an hour drive of the falls to fill
the streets. But what hurts is the pricing of the attractions and food
on Clifton Hill.

James
Old May 27th 09, 07:07 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

On May 27, 6:54*am, " wrote:
On May 26, 10:50*pm, (Kev Haw) wrote:

From what I understand, Canadians entering the US will require a
passport or enhanced license effective June 1st, and Americans entering
Canada will also require a passport or enhanced license.
* I'm a border-city Canadian and I was told by a Canadian Customs
officer that Canadian policy is to match any American restrictions on
Canadian citizens.
* I don't know if this will be good on our end, as tourism thrives on
American visitors to Canada.
It will be interesting to see how packed the streets are in Niagara
Falls this summer...

The pressure on Canada comes from the folks at Homeland Security. But
think of it this way, if we didn't match the restrictions, we could
get a bunch of American tourists who come across and then can't re-
enter the US. The publicity from such an incident would also damage
the tourism trade.

I don't think there's a threat that actual US citizens are going to be
unable to return to the US. The word out there is that people will be
detained long enough to prove their identities and citizenship. If
you've got a passport or enhanced drivers license, that's immediately
establishing identity and citizenship. I don't know why it took so
long for this to be a requirement.

The real problem is that birth certificates aren't really that
effective. They're easy enough to fake and there are literally
thousands of jurisdictions with different looking forms. Passports,
passport cards, and enhanced drivers licenses are easier to identify
and check for authenticity.

Of course one of the means of obtaining a passport or passport card is
with a birth certificate.