Old May 18th 09, 06:49 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
noel888 noel888 is offline

Default Passport ripoffs

It seems that June 1st is the date when one has to apply or get a new
passport or card they call it to travel to canada, some carribean isle
and etc. and charge $75 for it to $100. Now, I got a passport 4 years
ago when i went to Italy. They said it was good for 6 years. I went to
the gov website and there it seems one has to renew it for a fee of
$75. Boy, with the economy the way it is, the gov really knows how to
hike prices during these times for almost everything. ..subways in
NYC, water tax, real estate tax and etc...talk about bleeding us to
death..

Old May 18th 09, 06:58 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
BillGill BillGill is offline

noel888 wrote:
It seems that June 1st is the date when one has to apply or get a new
passport or card they call it to travel to canada, some carribean isle
and etc. and charge $75 for it to $100. Now, I got a passport 4 years
ago when i went to Italy. They said it was good for 6 years. I went to
the gov website and there it seems one has to renew it for a fee of
$75. Boy, with the economy the way it is, the gov really knows how to
hike prices during these times for almost everything. ..subways in
NYC, water tax, real estate tax and etc...talk about bleeding us to
death..

I got my US passport 2 years ago, and it is good until 2017. I'm
not sure why you got only a 6 year one.

Bill
Old May 18th 09, 08:05 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Anthona Anthona is offline

On May 18, 1:58*pm, BillGill wrote:
noel888 wrote:
It seems that June 1st is the date when one has to apply or get a new
passport or card they call it to travel to canada, some carribean isle
and etc. and charge $75 for it to $100. Now, I got a passport 4 years
ago when i went to Italy. They said it was good for 6 years. I went to
the gov website and there it seems one has to renew it for a fee of
$75. Boy, with the economy the way it is, the gov really knows how to
hike prices during these times for almost everything. ..subways in
NYC, water tax, real estate tax and etc...talk about bleeding us to
death..

I got my US passport 2 years ago, and it is good until 2017. *I'm
not sure why you got only a 6 year one.

Bill

Regardless, whatever the years, apparently does not prevent you from
paying extra fees on them, according to what I heard..Now, I may be
wrong, that is why I posted here to see if someone else knows more.
The web site for this does not mention if existing passports are
included or not.
Old May 18th 09, 08:40 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
George[_1_] George[_1_] is offline

noel888 wrote:
It seems that June 1st is the date when one has to apply or get a new
passport or card they call it to travel to canada, some carribean isle
and etc. and charge $75 for it to $100. Now, I got a passport 4 years
ago when i went to Italy. They said it was good for 6 years. I went to
the gov website and there it seems one has to renew it for a fee of
$75. Boy, with the economy the way it is, the gov really knows how to
hike prices during these times for almost everything. ..subways in
NYC, water tax, real estate tax and etc...talk about bleeding us to
death..

US passports are good for 10 years and that has been in effect for a
long time. I just renewed mine last month and they also eliminated the
requirement to appear in person and pay an agent fee for the renewal so
I think the cost may have actually been the same as the last time I
renewed. I don't know who "they" are but the issue and expiration dates
are printed in the passport right next to your photo.
Old May 18th 09, 08:44 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
George[_1_] George[_1_] is offline

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/fees/fees_837.html

Old May 19th 09, 01:57 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Mon, 18 May 2009, noel888 wrote:

It seems that June 1st is the date when one has to apply or get a new
passport or card they call it to travel to canada, some carribean isle
and etc. and charge $75 for it to $100. Now, I got a passport 4 years
ago when i went to Italy. They said it was good for 6 years. I went to
the gov website and there it seems one has to renew it for a fee of
$75. Boy, with the economy the way it is, the gov really knows how to
hike prices during these times for almost everything. ..subways in
NYC, water tax, real estate tax and etc...talk about bleeding us to
death..

The enemy of frugality is stupidity.

If you'd been paying attention, the new rule is about a need for
stronger ID when returning to the US. That's already the case
with flying to the US, but come June 1st (and this is later than
the original date), you have to have a passport to get back into
the US. But since that would be unfair, there is some card you
can get that serves the same purpose as a passport to get back
into the US for US citizens.

If you have a passport, you don't need the card.

You need the card if you don't have a passport, don't want to
get one, but will be travelling outside the US.

If countries like Canada required a passport to get in, then
there'd be no card since anyone travelling abroad would need
a passport. But since there are still countries who are more
open than the US, there is a need for stronger ID for US citizens
who are travelling to countries that don't require a passport.
The card isn't for getting into the foreign country, it's for
getting back into the US.

Far worse than "government money grabs" are the people who
won't read properly and assume the worst.

Michael

Old May 19th 09, 02:36 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_6_] The Real Bev[_6_] is offline

Michael Black wrote:

[...]

OTOH, the card is handier to carry around than a passport. Not sure if you can
get a card ONLY, or if you can only get one with a passport.

You need the card if you don't have a passport, don't want to
get one, but will be travelling outside the US.

BUT only to Mexico and Canada by land (or sea, I think -- not sure).

If countries like Canada required a passport to get in, then
there'd be no card since anyone travelling abroad would need
a passport. But since there are still countries who are more
open than the US, there is a need for stronger ID for US citizens
who are travelling to countries that don't require a passport.
The card isn't for getting into the foreign country, it's for
getting back into the US.

Far worse than "government money grabs" are the people who
won't read properly and assume the worst.

CVS isn't a bad place to get the photo taken (chaper than the post office, when
they offer that service), but you can make your own picture if you follow the
instructions carefully. You may be able to take your own picture and then
print it at CVS in proper form.

--
Cheers, Bev
"America is at an awkward stage: it is too late to work within the
Old May 19th 09, 07:44 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Jim Prescott Jim Prescott is offline

In article ,
noel888 wrote:
It seems that June 1st is the date when one has to apply or get a new
passport or card they call it to travel to canada, some carribean isle
and etc. and charge $75 for it to $100. Now, I got a passport 4 years
ago when i went to Italy. They said it was good for 6 years. I went to
the gov website and there it seems one has to renew it for a fee of $75.

US Passports are good for 10 years and are sufficient for reentry to
the US under all circumstances. If you have one from 4 years ago it
should still be good for another 6 years. It is perfectly acceptable
for Canadian and Mexican travel both now, and after June 1.

The June 1 change just effects people traveling without passports.

As of June 1 reentry by land/sea from Canada, Mexico and some islands
requires proof of citizenship. You used to be able to just verbally
assert that you were a US citizen. Then you had to provide a license,
birth certificate or other documents. As of June 1 you will need
either a Passport, the new cheaper Passport card, or an enhanced
drivers license if your state offers one.

I'm in NY so the enhanced license is a no brainer. It costs $30 extra,
if your old license isn't due for renewal they will (partially?) credit
you for the unused time. I have a passport but I don't always carry
it; I always have my license on me.

The passport card only seems to make sense if you cannot get an
enhanced license but really want something you can put in a wallet. It
is not good for international air travel.
--
Jim Prescott - Computing and Networking Group
School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, University of Rochester, NY
Old May 20th 09, 12:40 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Patricia Martin Steward[_2_] Patricia Martin Steward[_2_] is offline

On Mon, 18 May 2009 15:40:47 -0400, George
wrote:

US passports are good for 10 years and that has been in effect for a
long time.

Perhaps the OP isn't from the US.

--
January 20, 2009
The end of an error
Old May 20th 09, 01:54 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:

US passports are good for 10 years and that has been in effect for a
long time.

Perhaps the OP isn't from the US.

Then the original post is even more nonsensical than it already is.

If he isn't from the US, then that US law that comes into effect on
June 1st means nothing.

Michael