Old January 18th 07, 01:50 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
timeOday timeOday is offline

Default Returning a gift card

We need a law establishing the right to return gift cards. They should
be redeemable for cash at face value, without a service fee, by mail.

Old January 18th 07, 02:33 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Beloved Leader Beloved Leader is offline

timeOday wrote:
... right to return gift cards....

I'd be first in line.

Old January 18th 07, 03:03 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
WoolyGooly WoolyGooly is offline

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 18:50:10 -0700, timeOday
wrote:

We need a law establishing the right to return gift cards. They should
be redeemable for cash at face value, without a service fee, by mail.

Go in, max the card, then go to customer service and return the
merchandise for cash. Yes, it's a PITA, but it's the only way I know
of to get around the "no cash redemption" policy of most retailers.
Old January 18th 07, 03:43 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Shawn Hirn Shawn Hirn is offline

In article ,
timeOday wrote:

We need a law establishing the right to return gift cards. They should
be redeemable for cash at face value, without a service fee, by mail.

Why? A store has a right to make a profit. If you don't want a store's
gift card, just sell it to an acquaintance who does for face value.
What's the big deal?
Old January 18th 07, 11:46 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Steve[_5_] Steve[_5_] is offline

Shawn Hirn wrote:
Why? A store has a right to make a profit. If you don't want a store's
gift card, just sell it to an acquaintance who does for face value.
What's the big deal?

Who the heck would wanna buy a gift card for face value?

--

Hospitality is making people feel at home when you wish they were.

....Garrison Keillor

Old January 18th 07, 11:49 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Steve[_5_] Steve[_5_] is offline

WoolyGooly wrote:
Go in, max the card, then go to customer service and return the
merchandise for cash. Yes, it's a PITA, but it's the only way I know
of to get around the "no cash redemption" policy of most retailers.

Will retailers do this? Doesn't the receipt reference the gift card?

Old January 18th 07, 01:42 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

Steve wrote:

Shawn Hirn wrote:
Why? A store has a right to make a profit. If you don't want a store's
gift card, just sell it to an acquaintance who does for face value.
What's the big deal?

Who the heck would wanna buy a gift card for face value?

A friend or relative doing the gift recipient a favor, who would have
just as easily spend the same amount of cash at the same store anyone.
Old January 18th 07, 01:43 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Ward Abbott Ward Abbott is offline

wrote:

We need a law establishing the right to return gift cards. They should
be redeemable for cash at face value, without a service fee, by mail.

Good Luck!
Old January 18th 07, 01:43 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

Steve wrote:

WoolyGooly wrote:
Go in, max the card, then go to customer service and return the
merchandise for cash. Yes, it's a PITA, but it's the only way I know
of to get around the "no cash redemption" policy of most retailers.

Will retailers do this? Doesn't the receipt reference the gift card?

This idea should work? Every time I have used a gift card, nothing about
its use appeared on the receipt I was given. Its worth a try.
Old January 18th 07, 04:11 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
AllEmailDeletedImmediately AllEmailDeletedImmediately is offline

wrote:

We need a law establishing the right to return gift cards. They should
be redeemable for cash at face value, without a service fee, by mail.

Go in, max the card, then go to customer service and return the
merchandise for cash. Yes, it's a PITA, but it's the only way I know
of to get around the "no cash redemption" policy of most retailers.

aren't they requiring the return to be put back on a gift card?