Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old September 23rd 17, 06:26 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected] ggggg9271@gmail.com is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Apr 2014
Posts: 68
Default Postage stamps

http://www.harlandaily.com/news/2245...ce-to-60-cents

  #2   Report Post  
Old September 23rd 17, 10:16 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
catalpa catalpa is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 116
Default Postage stamps


wrote in message
...
http://www.harlandaily.com/news/2245...ce-to-60-cents


Who uses snail mail?

I have to mail something about once every 3 months.


  #3   Report Post  
Old September 23rd 17, 10:29 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann ItsJoan NotJoann is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Nov 2013
Posts: 109
Default Postage stamps

On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 4:16:51 PM UTC-5, catalpa wrote:

wrote in message
...

http://www.harlandaily.com/news/2245...ce-to-60-cents


Who uses snail mail?

I have to mail something about once every 3 months.


Pretty much the same thing here. I do mail in my property taxes as
the company that does the credit/debit card processing for the county
for this tax charges a 2.25% convenience fee. That doesn't sound like
much but it comes out to be about $43 so I'm more than willing to write
a check and spring for a postage stamp.

  #4   Report Post  
Old September 23rd 17, 11:03 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 671
Default Postage stamps

On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 14:29:47 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoan NotJoann
wrote:

On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 4:16:51 PM UTC-5, catalpa wrote:

wrote in message
...

http://www.harlandaily.com/news/2245...ce-to-60-cents


Who uses snail mail?

I have to mail something about once every 3 months.


Pretty much the same thing here. I do mail in my property taxes as
the company that does the credit/debit card processing for the county
for this tax charges a 2.25% convenience fee. That doesn't sound like
much but it comes out to be about $43 so I'm more than willing to write
a check and spring for a postage stamp.


RE taxes was the last holdout for me. But they got their act together about 5-7 years ago.
I pay the 1 buck "transaction fee" but I happen to bank with Chase, else I'd still be
sending a check. I sent a check to the lawyer who protests my RE tax assessment every 3
years a couple months ago, and that's the only check I've used in a couple years.
The only use I see for checks is paying tradesmen for work on my house, or maybe buying a
car.
  #5   Report Post  
Old September 24th 17, 12:12 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann ItsJoan NotJoann is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Nov 2013
Posts: 109
Default Postage stamps

On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 5:03:50 PM UTC-5, Vic Smith wrote:
On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 14:29:47 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoan NotJoann
wrote:

I do mail in my property taxes as
the company that does the credit/debit card processing for the county
for this tax charges a 2.25% convenience fee. That doesn't sound like
much but it comes out to be about $43 so I'm more than willing to write
a check and spring for a postage stamp.


RE taxes was the last holdout for me. But they got their act together about 5-7 years ago.
I pay the 1 buck "transaction fee" but I happen to bank with Chase, else I'd still be
sending a check. I sent a check to the lawyer who protests my RE tax assessment every 3
years a couple months ago, and that's the only check I've used in a couple years.
The only use I see for checks is paying tradesmen for work on my house, or maybe buying a
car.


ACK! I wish whoever did the online banking transactions for my county
only charged a dollar. $43 'convenience fee' is highway robbery but at
least I have a choice to mail or pay in person. I had to write a check
back in July for a new water heater installation and that was the first
check I'd written since February. A pad of checks lasts me 2,3,4 years.



  #6   Report Post  
Old September 24th 17, 12:18 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Bob F Bob F is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Sep 2006
Posts: 737
Default Postage stamps

On 9/23/2017 4:12 PM, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:
On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 5:03:50 PM UTC-5, Vic Smith wrote:
On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 14:29:47 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoan NotJoann
wrote:

I do mail in my property taxes as
the company that does the credit/debit card processing for the county
for this tax charges a 2.25% convenience fee. That doesn't sound like
much but it comes out to be about $43 so I'm more than willing to write
a check and spring for a postage stamp.


RE taxes was the last holdout for me. But they got their act together about 5-7 years ago.
I pay the 1 buck "transaction fee" but I happen to bank with Chase, else I'd still be
sending a check. I sent a check to the lawyer who protests my RE tax assessment every 3
years a couple months ago, and that's the only check I've used in a couple years.
The only use I see for checks is paying tradesmen for work on my house, or maybe buying a
car.


ACK! I wish whoever did the online banking transactions for my county
only charged a dollar. $43 'convenience fee' is highway robbery but at
least I have a choice to mail or pay in person. I had to write a check
back in July for a new water heater installation and that was the first
check I'd written since February. A pad of checks lasts me 2,3,4 years.


Can't you pay the tax using your banks online bill pay? It's a direct
transfer, not a CC that they have to pay fees on.

  #7   Report Post  
Old September 24th 17, 12:52 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 671
Default Postage stamps

On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 16:18:20 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 9/23/2017 4:12 PM, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:
On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 5:03:50 PM UTC-5, Vic Smith wrote:
On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 14:29:47 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoan NotJoann
wrote:

I do mail in my property taxes as
the company that does the credit/debit card processing for the county
for this tax charges a 2.25% convenience fee. That doesn't sound like
much but it comes out to be about $43 so I'm more than willing to write
a check and spring for a postage stamp.

RE taxes was the last holdout for me. But they got their act together about 5-7 years ago.
I pay the 1 buck "transaction fee" but I happen to bank with Chase, else I'd still be
sending a check. I sent a check to the lawyer who protests my RE tax assessment every 3
years a couple months ago, and that's the only check I've used in a couple years.
The only use I see for checks is paying tradesmen for work on my house, or maybe buying a
car.


ACK! I wish whoever did the online banking transactions for my county
only charged a dollar. $43 'convenience fee' is highway robbery but at
least I have a choice to mail or pay in person. I had to write a check
back in July for a new water heater installation and that was the first
check I'd written since February. A pad of checks lasts me 2,3,4 years.


Can't you pay the tax using your banks online bill pay? It's a direct
transfer, not a CC that they have to pay fees on.


Before my county set up the online payment, you had to send in the tax bill with your
payment. Still can't pay with the bank online system. Have to go to the county online
site.
  #8   Report Post  
Old September 24th 17, 02:13 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_6_] The Real Bev[_6_] is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Dec 2008
Posts: 748
Default Postage stamps

On 09/23/2017 04:18 PM, Bob F wrote:
On 9/23/2017 4:12 PM, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:
On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 5:03:50 PM UTC-5, Vic Smith wrote:
On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 14:29:47 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoan NotJoann
wrote:

I do mail in my property taxes as
the company that does the credit/debit card processing for the county
for this tax charges a 2.25% convenience fee. That doesn't sound like
much but it comes out to be about $43 so I'm more than willing to write
a check and spring for a postage stamp.

RE taxes was the last holdout for me. But they got their act together about 5-7 years ago.
I pay the 1 buck "transaction fee" but I happen to bank with Chase, else I'd still be
sending a check. I sent a check to the lawyer who protests my RE tax assessment every 3
years a couple months ago, and that's the only check I've used in a couple years.
The only use I see for checks is paying tradesmen for work on my house, or maybe buying a
car.


ACK! I wish whoever did the online banking transactions for my county
only charged a dollar. $43 'convenience fee' is highway robbery but at
least I have a choice to mail or pay in person. I had to write a check
back in July for a new water heater installation and that was the first
check I'd written since February. A pad of checks lasts me 2,3,4 years.


Can't you pay the tax using your banks online bill pay? It's a direct
transfer, not a CC that they have to pay fees on.


The State of California charges something like $17.00 if you want to pay
your state income taxes directly using H&RBlock tax software (presumably
the same for TurboTax), which seems incredibly stupid.

Last time I tried to pay the federal tax with TT it screwed up badly and
I ended up sending them paper and a check on April 15. Every since then
I've sent paper for both.

I send checks for all taxes. Everything else I pay via CC or online
banking.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Everything sucks; reverse the wires and everything will blow."
-- Desert Ed
  #9   Report Post  
Old September 24th 17, 03:39 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann ItsJoan NotJoann is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Nov 2013
Posts: 109
Default Postage stamps

On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 6:20:20 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:

On 9/23/2017 4:12 PM, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:

ACK! I wish whoever did the online banking transactions for my county
only charged a dollar. $43 'convenience fee' is highway robbery but at
least I have a choice to mail or pay in person. I had to write a check
back in July for a new water heater installation and that was the first
check I'd written since February. A pad of checks lasts me 2,3,4 years.


Can't you pay the tax using your banks online bill pay? It's a direct
transfer, not a CC that they have to pay fees on.


Check, credit or debit card only (or cash in person). If using bill
pay they consider that to be a debit card. Doesn't make sense, but
it never hurts to ask again.

  #10   Report Post  
Old September 24th 17, 03:43 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann ItsJoan NotJoann is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Nov 2013
Posts: 109
Default Postage stamps

On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 8:13:27 PM UTC-5, The Real Bev wrote:

I send checks for all taxes. Everything else I pay via CC or online
banking.

Cheers, Bev


Once my check for property taxes clears the bank I print out a
copy of my check and staple it to the portion of the tax bill I
keep and file it with my tax records. Never hurts to keep a
copy for awhile.



Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stamps The Real Bev[_6_] Frugal living 21 January 11th 09 02:52 AM
Stamps [email protected] Frugal living 32 June 16th 07 01:50 AM
Postage Stamps At 3% - 10%+ Below Retail Saving Advice Frugal living 2 April 14th 05 08:22 PM
Postage stamps? (Giving not receiving) Mogga Free stuff (UK only) 8 January 4th 04 04:52 PM
Lots of brochures and free postage stamps Funny Lady Free stuff (UK only) 0 July 21st 03 10:21 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 BargainBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Bargains and Discounts"

 

Copyright © 2017