Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11   Report Post  
Old July 23rd 17, 01:20 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann ItsJoan NotJoann is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Nov 2013
Posts: 109
Default Frugal Renters Insurance

On Saturday, July 22, 2017 at 12:42:25 AM UTC-5, wrote:

I am going to get on this for real early next week.

I really prefer to talk to someone in person. There is an insurance office a block away which is a good starting point.

Unless you like spending all day running from office to office
why not just phone different agencies?

And some of the questions the online quotes were hitting me with, like do you have a roommate? Well, yes but he won't be involved in the least.

He may not be on the lease but he is potential hazard. Does he
smoke? Is he careless with cooking and leaving burners on? If
you have a grill would be careless around it as well? That's
just a few of the reasons they want to know if there will be a
roommate.

Other things I am debating the utility of is a safe and safety deposit box.

Why do you need a safe? The bank can provide you with a safety
deposit box.


  #12   Report Post  
Old July 27th 17, 05:31 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected] Wilma6116@gmail.com is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Jul 2008
Posts: 121
Default Frugal Renters Insurance

The Beaver,

"And some of the questions the online quotes were hitting me with, like do you have a roommate? Well, yes but he won't be involved in the least."

Roommates are always involved. More people in and out of the house, for one.. I had a roommate who found out I had renters insurance. His car got broken into and he filed a claim with MY provider. A few weeks later he got broke into again... with more stuff. My credit rating took a ding.
  #13   Report Post  
Old July 27th 17, 10:28 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann ItsJoan NotJoann is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Nov 2013
Posts: 109
Default Frugal Renters Insurance

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 11:31:34 AM UTC-5, wrote:

The Beaver,

"And some of the questions the online quotes were hitting me with, like do you have a roommate? Well, yes but he won't be involved in the least."

Roommates are always involved. More people in and out of the house, for one. I had a roommate who found out I had renters insurance. His car got broken into and he filed a claim with MY provider. A few weeks later he got broke into again... with more stuff. My credit rating took a ding.


Why didn't he file a claim with his auto insurance? So HIS
insurance wouldn't take a ding?

  #14   Report Post  
Old July 28th 17, 12:40 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
BigDog811 BigDog811 is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Aug 2009
Posts: 76
Default Frugal Renters Insurance

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 5:28:48 PM UTC-4, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:
On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 11:31:34 AM UTC-5, wrote:

The Beaver,

"And some of the questions the online quotes were hitting me with, like do you have a roommate? Well, yes but he won't be involved in the least."

Roommates are always involved. More people in and out of the house, for one. I had a roommate who found out I had renters insurance. His car got broken into and he filed a claim with MY provider. A few weeks later he got broke into again... with more stuff. My credit rating took a ding.


Why didn't he file a claim with his auto insurance? So HIS
insurance wouldn't take a ding?


Because many (maybe most?) "full coverage" auto insurance policies exclude non-automotive contents. For example, if our your car is broken into and an installed stereo is taken it would covered. But the iPod you left in there to listen to on that stereo wouldn't be. Nor would a computer, camera, briefcase, tools (other than the jack, jumper cables, etc), the handful coins on the console, or anything else you carelessly left in there to attract a thief. Every policy I've ever owned has had that exclusion specified.

And of course, minimum liability policies have no casualty loss coverage anyway.
  #15   Report Post  
Old July 28th 17, 01:11 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
BigDog811 BigDog811 is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Aug 2009
Posts: 76
Default Frugal Renters Insurance

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 12:31:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:
The Beaver,

"And some of the questions the online quotes were hitting me with, like do you have a roommate? Well, yes but he won't be involved in the least."

Roommates are always involved. More people in and out of the house, for one. I had a roommate who found out I had renters insurance. His car got broken into and he filed a claim with MY provider. A few weeks later he got broke into again... with more stuff. My credit rating took a ding.


Yep, that's they way it works. Homeowners/renters policies cover the premises, all contents, and all occupants regardless of who's name is on the policy, lease, or paying the premiums. Something to consider before taking on a roommate or renting out a room.

Oh, by the way. Here's something that's even more important. If that roommate/renter stops paying you can't just change the locks and put their stuff out on the street. You have to go through a formal eviction process. That's always complicated, and depending on where you live can be expensive and time consuming.


  #16   Report Post  
Old July 28th 17, 04:45 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected] Beaver_Fever@live.com is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Jul 2013
Posts: 110
Default Frugal Renters Insurance

On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 5:11:58 AM UTC-7, BigDog811 wrote:
On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 12:31:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:
The Beaver,

"And some of the questions the online quotes were hitting me with, like do you have a roommate? Well, yes but he won't be involved in the least."

Roommates are always involved. More people in and out of the house, for one. I had a roommate who found out I had renters insurance. His car got broken into and he filed a claim with MY provider. A few weeks later he got broke into again... with more stuff. My credit rating took a ding.


Yep, that's they way it works. Homeowners/renters policies cover the premises, all contents, and all occupants regardless of who's name is on the policy, lease, or paying the premiums. Something to consider before taking on a roommate or renting out a room.

Oh, by the way. Here's something that's even more important. If that roommate/renter stops paying you can't just change the locks and put their stuff out on the street. You have to go through a formal eviction process. That's always complicated, and depending on where you live can be expensive and time consuming.


I am probably going to pass on renter insurance.
  #17   Report Post  
Old July 28th 17, 09:11 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann ItsJoan NotJoann is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Nov 2013
Posts: 109
Default Frugal Renters Insurance

On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 10:46:02 AM UTC-5, wrote:

I am probably going to pass on renter insurance.


Why?

  #18   Report Post  
Old July 29th 17, 02:31 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected] Beaver_Fever@live.com is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Jul 2013
Posts: 110
Default Frugal Renters Insurance

On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 1:11:56 PM UTC-7, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:
On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 10:46:02 AM UTC-5, wrote:

I am probably going to pass on renter insurance.


Why?


I just want to protect my stuff and help me getting back on my feet in case of disaster. I don't want any drama or to give anyone a free ride on my back.
  #19   Report Post  
Old July 29th 17, 04:01 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann ItsJoan NotJoann is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Nov 2013
Posts: 109
Default Frugal Renters Insurance

On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 8:31:32 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 1:11:56 PM UTC-7, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:
On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 10:46:02 AM UTC-5, wrote:

I am probably going to pass on renter insurance.


Why?


I just want to protect my stuff and help me getting back on my feet in case of disaster. I don't want any drama or to give anyone a free ride on my back.


Well, your best bet then is to forego the roommate.

  #20   Report Post  
Old July 29th 17, 05:39 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected] Beaver_Fever@live.com is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Jul 2013
Posts: 110
Default Frugal Renters Insurance

On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 8:01:51 PM UTC-7, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:
On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 8:31:32 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 1:11:56 PM UTC-7, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:
On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 10:46:02 AM UTC-5, wrote:

I am probably going to pass on renter insurance.


Why?


I just want to protect my stuff and help me getting back on my feet in case of disaster. I don't want any drama or to give anyone a free ride on my back.


Well, your best bet then is to forego the roommate.


I wish it were that easy.


Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
suggestions for purchasing renters insurance g_1 Frugal living 6 May 6th 10 01:41 PM
Find informations about Auto Insurance, Life Insurance,Car Insurance, Compare Insurance [email protected] Frugal living 2 October 14th 06 01:16 AM
Frugal car insurance [email protected] Frugal living 7 December 28th 04 09:46 PM
Help me buy frugal car insurance please? [email protected] Frugal living 50 February 11th 04 06:47 PM
Frugal Renters Insurance??? be Frugal living 17 February 8th 04 02:01 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 BargainBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Bargains and Discounts"

 

Copyright © 2017