Old January 10th 08, 12:55 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Rod Speed[_1_] Rod Speed[_1_] is offline

Default how to catch a clever mouse?

The Real Bev wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:

Veteran wrote:
George Grapman wrote:

The last time I saw infestation I purchased some glue traps. A
few hours later I heard a rattling sound on the floor. A rat had
been caught and was dragging the trap around. Since he was large
and alive I went to get a 2 by 4 to hit him on the head and at
least knock him out. I returned to the living room to find an
empty trap sitting near the wall. I went out immediately and
purchased a dozen of the large poison
bars. The guy at the hardware store said to leave them until there
were no signs of two weeks. The next morning to of the bars were
gone and several others had obviously been chewed on. I never saw
another sign of infestation. Of course, this option is not good if
you have pets or small children.

and you don't mind the smell as they decompose somewhere in a wall.

Theory has it that they develop a raging thirst and run outside to
find water. If you use D-Con, make sure the toilet seat cover is
down.
I've never had any smell at all, they just dehydrate odourlessly.

Did I ever tell you about finding the desiccated mouse in the microwave oven?

Nope, and that is more than I want to know.

Old January 10th 08, 01:52 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Scott Fordham Scott Fordham is offline

"The Real Bev" wrote in message
Bernardo Gui wrote:

I've had excellent luck with those sticky cards. They are cardboard,
with a very sticky glue on one side. Wal-Mart sells them, as well as
most other grocery and housewares stores. They cost a buck or two.

I put one under the stove and near a known mouse path. It took only a
few hours to catch the beast. He was too smart for traditional traps.
The house has been mouse-free ever since, but I am ready if any more
find a way in...

Did you kill it humanely? Give it to a cat as a toy? Just discard it?
That's the problem with live-catch traps...

Humanely? I'm guessing that you've never seen what actually happens to a
mouse that gets caught in one of the traditional type of traps but suffice
it to say that, at least in the cases I've seen, death isn't usually
immediate.

Old January 10th 08, 01:59 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Scott Fordham Scott Fordham is offline

"Veteran" wrote in message
In article ,
George Grapman wrote:

The last time I saw infestation I purchased some glue traps. A few
hours later I heard a rattling sound on the floor. A rat had been caught
and was dragging the trap around. Since he was large and alive I went to
get a 2 by 4 to hit him on the head and at least knock him out. I
returned to the living room to find an empty trap sitting near the wall.
I went out immediately and purchased a dozen of the large poison
bars. The guy at the hardware store said to leave them until there were
no signs of two weeks. The next morning to of the bars were gone and
several others had obviously been chewed on. I never saw another sign of
infestation. Of course, this option is not good if you have pets or
small children.

and you don't mind the smell as they decompose somewhere in a wall.

That's what somebody warned me about too, but so far it's never happened to
me -- they've simply disappeared or, in a few cases, I found the bodies
outside.

Like other posters, the poison approach has worked well for me.

Old January 10th 08, 02:41 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
George Grapman[_1_] George Grapman[_1_] is offline

Scott Fordham wrote:
"Veteran" wrote in message
In article ,
George Grapman wrote:

[...]

I never saw that rat again,living or dead. A few times
I found dead mice but have never had any odor.
Although I have seen no signs for almost year every so often I put
out the poison bars for a few days. Not even a nibble.
Old January 10th 08, 02:48 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_1_] The Real Bev[_1_] is offline

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

Theory has it that they develop a raging thirst and run outside to find
water. If you use D-Con, make sure the toilet seat cover is down.

D-con is warfarin, a blood thinner that basically induces the symptoms
of hemophilia.

Known as Coumadin when fed to unwanted humans.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I don't care who your father is! Drop that cross

Old January 10th 08, 04:17 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply is offline

The Real Bev wrote:

D-con is warfarin, a blood thinner that basically induces the symptoms
of hemophilia.

Known as Coumadin when fed to unwanted humans.

Or people with atrial fibrillation, embolic strokes, DVT, etc.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.
Old January 10th 08, 04:42 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ChairMan ChairMan is offline

In ,
The Real Bev spewed forth:
George Grapman wrote:

Dennis wrote:
On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 07:18:25 -0500, "OhioGuy" wrote:

Can anyone suggest a better alternative to traditional mousetraps?
Something that will catch a mouse that seems smart and careful
enough to outwit a traditional trap?

Here is a different idea: I have a leftover piece of sheet vinyl
flooring stored in my workshop/barn (I'm sure I'll find a use for it
someday :-). In the meantime, it is rolled into a tube-shape about
2.5 ft. tall and stored standing upright on its end in a corner.

Every time I move the tube of flooring (usually rearranging junk or
looking for something else), I find at least one, sometime more,
dead dessicated mice at the bottom of the tube. Apparently, there
is something about it that is irresistable to curious mice.

Dennis (evil)

Reminds me of an accidental trapping. The plastic towel bar in the
bathroom kept coming out of its holder. One morning it was on the
floor and a a mouse was trapped inside. It was only open on one end
so a took a shopping bag, emptied the mouse into the bag, walked
outside to the storm drain on the corner and deposited the rodent.

Around here the wild things use the storm drains as underground
railways.
I heard a story about an ex-wife who hid some fish inside each of the
expensive hollow curtain-poles in her ex-husband's home. Theory was
that the ex-husband and his new wife could never find the source of
the ghastly odor, sold their house at a loss and moved the
curtain-poles to their new home...

Probably apocryphal.

ya mean this story?

After 17 years of marriage, a man dumped his wife for
his young secretary. His new girlfriend demanded that
she wanted to live in the couple's multimillion dollar
home, and since the man's lawyers were a little better,
he prevailed. He gave his now ex-wife just 3 days to move out.
She spent the first day packing her belongings into
boxes, crates and suitcases.
One the second day, she had the movers come and
collect her things.
On the third day, she sat down for the last time at
their beautiful dining room table by candlelight, put
on some soft background music, and feasted on a pound
of shrimp, a jar of caviar, and a bottle of Chardonnay.
When she had finished, she went into each and every
room and deposited a few half-eaten shrimp shells,
dipped in caviar, into the hollow of the curtain rods.
She then cleaned up the kitchen and left.
When the husband returned with his new girlfriend, all
was bliss for the first few days. Then slowly, the
house began to smell. They tried everything; cleaning
& mopping and airing the place out. Vents were
checked for dead rodents, and carpets were steam
cleaned. Air fresheners were hung everywhere.
Exterminators were brought in to set off gas
canisters, during which they had to move out for a few
days, and in the end they even paid to replace the
expensive wool carpeting. Nothing worked. People
stopped coming over to visit...Repairmen refused to
work in the house...The maid quit...Finally, they
could not take the stench any longer and decided to move.
A month later, even though they had cut their price in
half, they could not find a buyer for their stinky
house. Word got out, and eventually, even the local
realtors refused to return their calls.
Finally, they had to borrow a huge sum of money from
the bank to purchase a new place. The ex-wife called
the man, and asked how things were going. He told her
the saga of the rotting house. She listened
politely, and said that she missed her old home
terribly, and would be willing to reduce her divorce
settlement in exchange for getting the house back...
Knowing his ex-wife had no idea how bad the smell was,
he agreed on a price that was about 1/10th of what the
house had been worth...But only if she were to sign
the papers that very day. She agreed, and within the
hour, his lawyers delivered the paperwork.
A week later, the man and his new girlfriend stood
smirking as they watched the moving company pack
everything to take to their new home...

....including the curtain rods.

Old January 10th 08, 04:42 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Gary Heston Gary Heston is offline

In article ,
timeOday wrote:
Logan Shaw wrote:
Last time I had "a" mouse, it turned out to be 9 of them. It was right
when the weather started getting really cold, so I guess they moved inside
for the heat.

I've found when you get a whole family, you know the job is almost done
when you start catching small (baby) mice. Kinda sad but true.

Once, my mother had a mouse problem; I set four traps in her utility room.
Later, I found three traps with dead mice and no bait; the fourth had both
bait and mouse. That was a clear indication there were none left. Contrary
to what the manufacturers say, the scents on a mousetrap don't deter them.
They'll raid the bait with a dead sibling within an inch.

Gary

--
Gary Heston http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

Yoko Onos' former driver tried to extort $2M from her, threating to
"release embarassing recordings...". What, he has a copy of her album?
Old January 10th 08, 04:43 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Nicik Name Nicik Name is offline

"OhioGuy" wrote in message ...
For the past couple of weeks, I've been trying to catch a mouse that my
wife saw in the kitchen. I put two mouse traps in there, but only one was
messed with - the mouse evidently took its time very, very carefully
licking all of the peanut butter off it it, without even setting it off!
It was licked clean, too, every bit of peanut butter gone.

I put my cat inside in the kitchen for a couple of nights, and for a
while thought maybe it had caught and eaten the mouse. However, this
morning when I walked in the kitchen and turned on the light, the little
bugger jumped off of the countertop and ran back behind the stove.

I'm getting really sick of it. It doesn't seem to be getting into any of
our food on the countertop, because we have it inside glass gallon sized
jars. However, the mouse sure seems to poop and pee a lot up there on the
counter for its size, and I'm tired of having to clean up after it.

Can anyone suggest a better alternative to traditional mousetraps?
Something that will catch a mouse that seems smart and careful enough to
outwit a traditional trap?

you need a good mouser cat...........ask around

Old January 10th 08, 04:58 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_1_] The Real Bev[_1_] is offline

ChairMan wrote:

The Real Bev spewed forth:

I heard a story about an ex-wife who hid some fish inside each of the
expensive hollow curtain-poles in her ex-husband's home. Theory was
that the ex-husband and his new wife could never find the source of
the ghastly odor, sold their house at a loss and moved the
curtain-poles to their new home...

Probably apocryphal.

ya mean this story?

After 17 years of marriage, a man dumped his wife for
his young secretary. His new girlfriend demanded that
she wanted to live in the couple's multimillion dollar
home, and since the man's lawyers were a little better,
he prevailed...
...A week later, the man and his new girlfriend stood
smirking as they watched the moving company pack
everything to take to their new home...

...including the curtain rods.

Yup, that's the one!

--