Old January 8th 08, 12:18 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
OhioGuy OhioGuy is offline

Default how to catch a clever mouse?

For the past couple of weeks, I've been trying to catch a mouse that my
wife saw in the kitchen. I put two mouse traps in there, but only one was
messed with - the mouse evidently took its time very, very carefully licking
all of the peanut butter off it it, without even setting it off! It was
licked clean, too, every bit of peanut butter gone.

I put my cat inside in the kitchen for a couple of nights, and for a while
thought maybe it had caught and eaten the mouse. However, this morning when
I walked in the kitchen and turned on the light, the little bugger jumped
off of the countertop and ran back behind the stove.

I'm getting really sick of it. It doesn't seem to be getting into any of
our food on the countertop, because we have it inside glass gallon sized
jars. However, the mouse sure seems to poop and pee a lot up there on the
counter for its size, and I'm tired of having to clean up after it.

Can anyone suggest a better alternative to traditional mousetraps?
Something that will catch a mouse that seems smart and careful enough to
outwit a traditional trap?

Old January 8th 08, 12:56 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
max max is offline

In article , "OhioGuy" wrote:

[...]

try the conventional traps with the big yellow plastic trigger paddle.
Place them in natural choke points. Eventually he'll screw up.

..max

--
The part of betatron @ earthlink . net was played by a garden gnome
Old January 9th 08, 03:53 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_1_] The Real Bev[_1_] is offline

max wrote:

In article , "OhioGuy" wrote:

Can anyone suggest a better alternative to traditional mousetraps?
Something that will catch a mouse that seems smart and careful enough to
outwit a traditional trap?

try the conventional traps with the big yellow plastic trigger paddle.
Place them in natural choke points. Eventually he'll screw up.

Whatever you use, bend something so that it has a hair trigger. They
don't all come from the factory properly-adjusted.

Attach a piece of apple (or cheese, the traditional bait) to the
bait-pad with several windings of thread. Smear the apple with peanut
butter.

For REAL neatness, place the trap business-end facing outward in a brown
paper lunch bag. If you see a tail protruding from the bag, pick the
bag up and throw the whole thing in the trash. If you have to re-use
mousetraps you're in bigger financial trouble than you thought.

--
Cheers, Bev
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old January 8th 08, 11:14 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
timeOday timeOday is offline

The Real Bev wrote:
max wrote:

In article , "OhioGuy" wrote:

Can anyone suggest a better alternative to traditional mousetraps?
Something that will catch a mouse that seems smart and careful enough
to outwit a traditional trap?

try the conventional traps with the big yellow plastic trigger paddle.
Place them in natural choke points. Eventually he'll screw up.

Whatever you use, bend something so that it has a hair trigger. They
don't all come from the factory properly-adjusted.

Yes, I was going to recommend NOT getting the plastic ones for just that
reason. You have to get the Victor trap with the metal cheese pedal,
and bend it like Bev said.

I also like to take a chunk from chunky peanut butter and lodge it into
the hole on the "cheese" pedal hoping the mouse will have to pull on it,
though I can't swear that makes a difference.
Old January 9th 08, 11:36 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

timeOday wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
max wrote:
In article , "OhioGuy" wrote:

Can anyone suggest a better alternative to traditional mousetraps?
Something that will catch a mouse that seems smart and careful enough
to outwit a traditional trap?

try the conventional traps with the big yellow plastic trigger paddle.
Place them in natural choke points. Eventually he'll screw up.

Whatever you use, bend something so that it has a hair trigger. They
don't all come from the factory properly-adjusted.

Yes, I was going to recommend NOT getting the plastic ones for just that
reason. You have to get the Victor trap with the metal cheese pedal,
and bend it like Bev said.

I also like to take a chunk from chunky peanut butter and lodge it into
the hole on the "cheese" pedal hoping the mouse will have to pull on it,
though I can't swear that makes a difference.

Thread. Works every time. Greedy little *******s can't resist trying
to get every last bit of savory goodness.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old January 8th 08, 01:12 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Bernardo Gui Bernardo Gui is offline

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 07:18:25 -0500, "OhioGuy" wrote:

[...]

I've had excellent luck with those sticky cards. They are cardboard,
with a very sticky glue on one side. Wal-Mart sells them, as well as
most other grocery and housewares stores. They cost a buck or two.

I put one under the stove and near a known mouse path. It took only a
few hours to catch the beast. He was too smart for traditional traps.
The house has been mouse-free ever since, but I am ready if any more
find a way in...

Bernardo
Old January 9th 08, 03:55 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

Bernardo Gui wrote:

I've had excellent luck with those sticky cards. They are cardboard,
with a very sticky glue on one side. Wal-Mart sells them, as well as
most other grocery and housewares stores. They cost a buck or two.

I put one under the stove and near a known mouse path. It took only a
few hours to catch the beast. He was too smart for traditional traps.
The house has been mouse-free ever since, but I am ready if any more
find a way in...

Did you kill it humanely? Give it to a cat as a toy? Just discard it?
That's the problem with live-catch traps...

Old January 10th 08, 01:52 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Scott Fordham Scott Fordham is offline

"The Real Bev" wrote in message
Bernardo Gui wrote:

I've had excellent luck with those sticky cards. They are cardboard,
with a very sticky glue on one side. Wal-Mart sells them, as well as
most other grocery and housewares stores. They cost a buck or two.

I put one under the stove and near a known mouse path. It took only a
few hours to catch the beast. He was too smart for traditional traps.
The house has been mouse-free ever since, but I am ready if any more
find a way in...

Did you kill it humanely? Give it to a cat as a toy? Just discard it?
That's the problem with live-catch traps...

Humanely? I'm guessing that you've never seen what actually happens to a
mouse that gets caught in one of the traditional type of traps but suffice
it to say that, at least in the cases I've seen, death isn't usually
immediate.

Old January 8th 08, 03:37 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Jeff[_7_] Jeff[_7_] is offline

OhioGuy wrote:
[...]

The mice traps that the mouse crawls into seem to work very well. My
brother uses them and has no trouble catching mice, sometime he'll have
more than one in the same trap.

Now, he lives near the edge of a valley and dumps the live mice out
in the woods and they simply come back in to get caught again. The mice
never learn. Neither does my brother!

Now, for rats (and mice also), the poison just plain works. And you
don't have to kill the mouse yourself.

For myself, I use the cat method. Cats may bring mice in the house,
but they never make it out alive. Not every cat is up to that, but most
are. In fact nothing lives in the yard that isn't larger than a cat!

Jeff

Old January 8th 08, 03:50 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Al Bundy[_1_] Al Bundy[_1_] is offline

OhioGuy wrote:
[...]

Somehow you have to be smarter than the mouse. I give the mouse a
50/50 chance of dying of old age. Your best hope is that the mouse
doesn't pass all his genes on to his progeny.