Old May 31st 07, 04:24 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
OhioGuy OhioGuy is offline

Default How to do statewide/nationwide Craigslist search?

I've used Craigslist a few times to buy and sell things locally.
Recently, I started using it to look for a used car. My searches were
pretty specific, so usually I would find myself searching multiple cities
looking for a match. It's ok, because we would be willing to drive quite a
ways for a good deal if we can find a station wagon and/or Diesel.

I got annoyed after a while of having to manually do the same search at a
dozen or more cities, and registered on the site. I figured that by
registering, I would get access to a nationwide, or at least statewide
search. Such does not seem to be the case.

Because my search is so specific, I'm convinced that I would only get a
few dozen results even with a nationwide search.

Anyone know how to do either a nationwide or at least further ranging
search than the default Craigslist one?

Thanks!

Old May 31st 07, 06:10 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Seerialmom Seerialmom is offline

On May 31, 8:24 am, "OhioGuy" wrote:
I've used Craigslist a few times to buy and sell things locally.
Recently, I started using it to look for a used car. My searches were
pretty specific, so usually I would find myself searching multiple cities
looking for a match. It's ok, because we would be willing to drive quite a
ways for a good deal if we can find a station wagon and/or Diesel.

I got annoyed after a while of having to manually do the same search at a
dozen or more cities, and registered on the site. I figured that by
registering, I would get access to a nationwide, or at least statewide
search. Such does not seem to be the case.

Because my search is so specific, I'm convinced that I would only get a
few dozen results even with a nationwide search.

Anyone know how to do either a nationwide or at least further ranging
search than the default Craigslist one?

Thanks!

No, but I would figure the people who run Craigslist would know? They
do have forums there as well.

Old June 6th 07, 10:03 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected] gimpdaddyrob@gmail.com is offline

[...]

Craigslist doesn't allow you to search in multiple cities at once, and
any third party attempts to set up a national search are squashed by
craigslist management as soon as they are discovered.

Old June 6th 07, 10:06 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Jun 6, 2:03 pm, wrote:
[...]

craigslist management as soon as they are discovered.- Hide quoted text -

The only thing that makes me crazy about Craigslist is that if you
change the city to look at and then go back to the "general"
craigslist.org; it redirects to that last city...and holds you
hostage there until you kill all cookies.

Old June 7th 07, 12:18 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply is offline

Craigslist was set up to be primarily a local resource, and there are so
many places that have broader scopes that they don't try to appeal to them.

Instead of manually performing the search you want, create a bookmark
for each search at each location to use. I use Firefox, and it has an
option where you can "bookmark all tabs" (you can open separate web
sites in tabs on the one Firefox window) and then they all get saved to
a folder. So I open a separate tab to do the same search for each
location I am interested in and then save all links to a folder. Then
when I click on that folder in my bookmarks and see all the individual
bookmarks, there is also an option to open all the links in separate
tabs, and POOF they are all open at once. (If you use Internet
Exploder, I am sorry but I don't know if it has this capability, but you
can still save the URLs of the separate searches in your Favorites, or
you can just memorize the names of the sites you would go to and then
manually edit the URL just to replace, say, sfbay.craigslist.org/cars to
sacramento.craigslist.org/cars or stockton.craigslist.org/cars or whatever.

OTOH, if you truly want to cast a way-far-reaching net, Google this

"item I want to buy" site:craigslist.org

and you will get every listing in the entire site, not sorted in any way.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.

Old July 24th 14, 06:03 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected] sandusky.rob@gmail.com is offline

Hey,. you can search several cities, a region, or a whole state using http://www.clrds.com/ they offer a craigslist statewide search.
Old July 10th 16, 07:03 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected] jgouran@googlemail.com is offline

Hi I suggest you use http://allCraigslistsearch.com . It is by far the most user friendly CL search for finding items nationwide and statewide

Craigslist sucks Rarpy Frugal living 3 February 4th 07 06:58 PM
Using Nationwide Card In Greece cal UK discounts & bargains 11 August 16th 05 10:37 PM
multiple craigslist search (for sale) abda53 Frugal living 0 August 11th 05 06:11 PM
CHEAP Dial-Up Nationwide! [email protected] Frugal living 0 May 17th 05 06:04 AM
Cheap Dial Up----Nationwide! [email protected] Frugal living 10 March 12th 05 08:05 PM