Old August 27th 16, 12:49 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
barbie gee[_2_] barbie gee[_2_] is offline

Default I miss this group

On Thu, 25 Aug 2016, root wrote:

wrote:
I have to say that the mix of people who made up this group from 1995 on, for
close to a decade, made for the brightest and most free group I have ever run
across. I'm on forums, and recently poked my head into facebook again, and they
simply are not the same. The range of topics gets limited, and more adventurous
posters either abandon quickly or get kicked out. Other forums are less forums
than filtered sounding boards for the viewpoints of some rigid moderators.

If the group could somehow make it into a forum type setting where cancelbots
and trolls were excluded, I would love it. I recognize though that it is
unlikely.

A toast to absent friends.

I am afraid that many of those absent have died.

If I remember correctly, Harry, you stopped active participation because
of RS. I know that kill filing isn't the whole solution. Isn't there
some way that we can all agree to just ignore his ilk?

besides people like RS, many newsgroups including this one, start getting
spammed and overtaken, such that there's no content anymore worth looking
at. In addition, there are very few newservers anymore, and most ISPs
don't bother w/ nntp either.

Google Groups really isn't the same to use an a good oldschool newsreader.

Old August 27th 16, 06:01 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Wi[email protected] Wilma6116@gmail.com is offline

On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 12:09:28 PM UTC-7, The Real Bev wrote:
On 08/25/2016 11:03 PM, wrote:

News to me. I recently bought a military jacket insert. You want
something warm? This is it.
https://www.amazon.com/Field-Jacket-...NJKHWB 13CASQ

I have a hat with a MIL-spec label :-)

--

Do you wear it hanging on the outside? Howwwdy!

With your snazzy hat you'll need matching boots. Might I suggest, Combat Boot, Gore-Tex Intermediate Cold/Wet Weather Black Leather, Genuine U.S. Military Issue?
https://www.amazon.com/Gore-Tex-Inte...s=surplus+boot

Old August 27th 16, 07:23 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Dennis Dennis is offline

On Fri, 26 Aug 2016 12:04:50 -0700, The Real Bev
wrote:

On 08/25/2016 01:38 PM, Dennis wrote:
On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 00:07:21 -0700, The Real Bev
wrote:

I'm considering getting my nose reamed out so I can actually use it for
breathing. Anybody here had it done?

I had a nasal polyp that was blocking a sinus from draining removed
earlier this year. Seems to have done the trick, as the sinus
infection that I had been fighting on-and-off for two years prior has
not returned since. Not much fun for a few days after, but it was
pretty much healed in about two weeks. Performed out-patient by an ENT
Dr. at a local surgery center, under general anesthesia.

Nice when a medical procedure makes you better off. Anaesthesia: I
used to throw up all the time (once for two days, ended up needing an
electrolyte top-up in the ER), but they have GOOD stuff now so that
doesn't happen.

Yeah, modern anesthesia is a big improvement over the old days but
kind of freaky. IME, it is like a light switch: click - I'm out; click
- I'm awake in recovery, with no sense of passing time. I mean, even
when I'm deeply asleep in bed there is dreaming and I awake with a
sense that time has passed. Not so under anesthesia. It probably has
something to do with the memory blockers they mix into the brew.
However, I was surprised that it took almost a week to completely
regain my strength/endurance afterward. My doctor said that was within
normal expectations, though.

Dennis (evil)
--
What government gives, it must first take away.
Old August 28th 16, 04:44 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_6_] The Real Bev[_6_] is offline

wrote:

News to me. I recently bought a military jacket insert. You want
something warm? This is it.
https://www.amazon.com/Field-Jacket-...NJKHWB 13CASQ
I have a hat with a MIL-spec label :-)

Do you wear it hanging on the outside? Howwwdy!

HAH. Proper MIL-spec labels are sewn in. It's a beige wide-brim cloth
sun-hat.

With your snazzy hat you'll need matching boots. Might I suggest,
Combat Boot, Gore-Tex Intermediate Cold/Wet Weather Black Leather,
Genuine U.S. Military Issue?
https://www.amazon.com/Gore-Tex-Inte...s=surplus+boot

This is California. I don't think they have milspec flip-flops, but I
could be wrong.

--
Cheers, Bev
You know it's time to clean the refrigerator when
Old August 28th 16, 04:46 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:

[...]

I think it depends on how much they give you. The first 3 times I had
steroid injections for my protruding disk I could have driven home. The
last time I was woozy and slept for most of the first day.

Old August 28th 16, 07:25 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Bob F Bob F is offline

On 8/27/2016 8:46 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

I think it depends on how much they give you. The first 3 times I had
steroid injections for my protruding disk I could have driven home. The
last time I was woozy and slept for most of the first day.

Skip the steroids, and research stem cells. Of course, you will have to
pay yourself.

Old August 28th 16, 04:31 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected] hchickpea@hotmail.com is offline

wrote:

[...]

Every time I have had general anesthesia I have noticed that my mental function
slips a little. I recover most of it, but not all. I suspect they swap the
smarter me with one that is less smart while I am out and won't notice it.
Damned lizard people.
Old August 28th 16, 07:41 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

On 08/27/2016 11:25 PM, Bob F wrote:
On 8/27/2016 8:46 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

I think it depends on how much they give you. The first 3 times I had
steroid injections for my protruding disk I could have driven home. The
last time I was woozy and slept for most of the first day.

Skip the steroids, and research stem cells. Of course, you will have to
pay yourself.

Stem cells can fix protruding disks? I didn't realize they can deal
with injuries -- which I assume is what caused my protruding disks;
I've done a lot of falling in my life, and I figure it just finally
showed up.

Old August 29th 16, 07:23 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Bob F Bob F is offline

On 8/28/2016 11:41 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 08/27/2016 11:25 PM, Bob F wrote:
On 8/27/2016 8:46 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

I think it depends on how much they give you. The first 3 times I had
steroid injections for my protruding disk I could have driven home. The
last time I was woozy and slept for most of the first day.

Skip the steroids, and research stem cells. Of course, you will have to
pay yourself.

Stem cells can fix protruding disks? I didn't realize they can deal
with injuries -- which I assume is what caused my protruding disks; I've
done a lot of falling in my life, and I figure it just finally showed up.

I have read that. My doctor recently started doing stem cell injections.
I'll keep them in mind if I ever need such help.