Old August 25th 16, 03:41 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected] hchickpea@hotmail.com is offline

Default I miss this group

I have to say that the mix of people who made up this group from 1995 on, for
close to a decade, made for the brightest and most free group I have ever run
across. I'm on forums, and recently poked my head into facebook again, and they
simply are not the same. The range of topics gets limited, and more adventurous
posters either abandon quickly or get kicked out. Other forums are less forums
than filtered sounding boards for the viewpoints of some rigid moderators.

If the group could somehow make it into a forum type setting where cancelbots
and trolls were excluded, I would love it. I recognize though that it is
unlikely.

A toast to absent friends.

Old August 25th 16, 04:49 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_6_] The Real Bev[_6_] is offline

On 08/24/2016 07:41 PM, wrote:
I have to say that the mix of people who made up this group from 1995 on, for
close to a decade, made for the brightest and most free group I have ever run
across. I'm on forums, and recently poked my head into facebook again, and they
simply are not the same. The range of topics gets limited, and more adventurous
posters either abandon quickly or get kicked out. Other forums are less forums
than filtered sounding boards for the viewpoints of some rigid moderators.

If the group could somehow make it into a forum type setting where cancelbots
and trolls were excluded, I would love it. I recognize though that it is
unlikely.

Having participated in starting a moderated newsgroup (and moderating it
for a while) I can heartily NOT recommend either the process or the
result. The moderation software is NOT user-friendly, and ultimately
something stopped working such that even the truly-computer-savvy people
involvedcouldn't get it working again. Even before that, there was very
little traffic. Apparently it was more fun to carry on the squabble
that started in 1999 than to get back to the way the group was back in
the dark ages when everybody was decent and helpful.

RS seems to have moved elsewhere, operates similarly, and is just as
annoying.

A toast to absent friends.

Too many. Perhaps they're still subscribed, but don't bother looking
unless there are posts. A possible solution suggests itself...

ObFrugal -- Costco seems to be the most economical place to go for
glasses/contacts. Certainly better than any of the chain optometrists.
Can anyone suggest a better option?

--
Cheers, Bev
"No matter how cynical I get, it's just never enough to keep up."
Old August 25th 16, 07:11 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 20:49:24 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

On 08/24/2016 07:41 PM, wrote:
[...]

An ObFrugal! As Obi wan said, "I have not heard that name..."

I need to get some Stetson frames. I've come to realize that the larger lens
size is much more what I am comfortable with. Do they have those? Although...
I now have a detached vitreous humor in one eye, and the eye doctor I used who
has her practice at Walmart guided me through at no charge, with repeated visits
to make sure the retina was ok. She is simply dedicated and when a regular
customer has an issue and she knows the insurance company is going to be a
problem, she works on her terms. No way will I walk away from that.

Now if I could only find some bell-bottoms. :-) (An aside - a friend who loved
his embroidered peasant shirt from the late '60s, early 70s has decided to
attempt to make his own replacement from scratch. He just made a couple of
outstanding quilts, and I expect him to be successful in the making. He may or
may not decide to wear the resultant product, that is up to him.

If the group gets traffic, I fully expect the return of the sith.
Old August 25th 16, 08:07 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:
[...]

Sure you have!

I need to get some Stetson frames. I've come to realize that the larger lens
size is much more what I am comfortable with. Do they have those?

Not a clue. Maybe Zenni or Goggles4U have them, although they seem to
carry only styles that are fairly current.

Although...
I now have a detached vitreous humor in one eye, and the eye doctor I used who
has her practice at Walmart guided me through at no charge, with repeated visits
to make sure the retina was ok. She is simply dedicated and when a regular
customer has an issue and she knows the insurance company is going to be a
problem, she works on her terms. No way will I walk away from that.

I think that can be fixed -- eye surgery is amazing, but I don't want to
think about the details.

I'm considering getting my nose reamed out so I can actually use it for
breathing. Anybody here had it done?

Now if I could only find some bell-bottoms. :-)

Every once in a while Old Navy has them -- for women, at least. Would
those work?

(An aside - a friend who loved
his embroidered peasant shirt from the late '60s, early 70s has decided to
attempt to make his own replacement from scratch. He just made a couple of
outstanding quilts, and I expect him to be successful in the making. He may or
may not decide to wear the resultant product, that is up to him.

Well, Hallowe'en is just around the corner.

If the group gets traffic, I fully expect the return of the sith.

So I'm the only one who thinks those movies, along with Harry Potter,
are boring?

--
Cheers, Bev
"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the

Old August 25th 16, 06:35 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:
[...]

What you do is cut a slit at the bottom of an existing pair of pants, and
then sew in a triangle of other material, so they bell out. At least, I
remember that being done in the early seventies (when you actually could
buy bell bottomed pants).

(An aside - a friend who loved
his embroidered peasant shirt from the late '60s, early 70s has decided to
attempt to make his own replacement from scratch.

I think my mother did that once, though it wasn't a peasant shirt.
Carefully open it up, and copy what remains.

I suspect some of this stuff is explained in books from the early
seventies, where frugality might be an issue. I'm too lazy to check, but
Rolling Stone had a sewing book out back then, that might have such
tricks.

After all, the reason tie-dye came to the counterculture (it had existed
previously) was that artists in San Francisco had no money, so they'd buy
at rumamge sales and the Salvation Army. That's when they started wearing
"odd" clothing, since if they were buying used, might as well dress up in
that band jacket or whatever. But shirts were in more limited supply,
except for white collar shirts. So they started tie-dying those, a little
more interesting than just dying them one color.

Michael
Old August 25th 16, 06:39 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Thu, 25 Aug 2016, The Real Bev wrote:

Now if I could only find some bell-bottoms. :-)

Every once in a while Old Navy has them -- for women, at least. Would those
work?

I don't think surplus is what it once was. It's either less available
(the "surplus" stores now selling all kinds of things but not actual
military surplus), but also expensive. There was a point, early nineties,
when I stopped wearing surplus army pants because the price was no longer
good compared to new pants, though there was a sturdiness in the surplus
pants. EIther supply has shrunk, or demand gone up, though I don't see
people wearing it these days so I can't imagine the latter.

And yes, I'm aware you are talking about a new store selling new goods,
but the name sounds like it should be a surplus store.

Michael
Old August 25th 16, 06:40 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Thu, 25 Aug 2016, root wrote:

wrote:
I have to say that the mix of people who made up this group from 1995 on, for
close to a decade, made for the brightest and most free group I have ever run
across. I'm on forums, and recently poked my head into facebook again, and they
simply are not the same. The range of topics gets limited, and more adventurous
posters either abandon quickly or get kicked out. Other forums are less forums
than filtered sounding boards for the viewpoints of some rigid moderators.

If the group could somehow make it into a forum type setting where cancelbots
and trolls were excluded, I would love it. I recognize though that it is
unlikely.

A toast to absent friends.

I am afraid that many of those absent have died.

If I remember correctly, Harry, you stopped active participation because
of RS. I know that kill filing isn't the whole solution. Isn't there
some way that we can all agree to just ignore his ilk?

He landed elsewhere, for a long time, basically playing the same role
there, though the topic different. Even got accused of using more than one
name. And come to think of it, he disappeared at some point, and I've yet
to see him posting in any of the newsgroups I read.

Michael

Old August 25th 16, 09:38 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Dennis Dennis is offline

On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 00:07:21 -0700, The Real Bev
wrote:

I'm considering getting my nose reamed out so I can actually use it for
breathing. Anybody here had it done?

I had a nasal polyp that was blocking a sinus from draining removed
earlier this year. Seems to have done the trick, as the sinus
infection that I had been fighting on-and-off for two years prior has
not returned since. Not much fun for a few days after, but it was
pretty much healed in about two weeks. Performed out-patient by an ENT
Dr. at a local surgery center, under general anesthesia. IMHO, steep
charges for a 30-minute outpatient procedure - the bills (insurance
copays and deductibles) are still trickling in 5 months later - close
to $2K out-of-pocket so far. But worth it, I suppose.

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm a hands-on, footloose, knee-jerk head case. -George Carlin
Old August 25th 16, 10:10 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected] Beaver_Fever@live.com is offline

wrote:

I'm considering getting my nose reamed out so I can actually use it for
breathing. Anybody here had it done?

I had a nasal polyp that was blocking a sinus from draining removed
earlier this year. Seems to have done the trick, as the sinus
infection that I had been fighting on-and-off for two years prior has
not returned since. Not much fun for a few days after, but it was
pretty much healed in about two weeks. Performed out-patient by an ENT
Dr. at a local surgery center, under general anesthesia. IMHO, steep
charges for a 30-minute outpatient procedure - the bills (insurance
copays and deductibles) are still trickling in 5 months later - close
to $2K out-of-pocket so far. But worth it, I suppose.

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm a hands-on, footloose, knee-jerk head case. -George Carlin

I had somehow miraculously snapped out of my near lifelong nasal spray addiction last year after a nasty bout of summertime flu. Then my roommate got another cat and it came raging back.