Old March 17th 16, 06:17 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_6_] The Real Bev[_6_] is offline

Default Cheese!

I bought some 'Coast' cheese from Costco a few months ago. When I found
it again in the back of the refrigerator it had acquired some blue mold
-- just like blue cheese. It's just on the surface and it tastes fine --
just like blue cheese. I think there's a handy hint in here somewhere...

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old March 17th 16, 07:43 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected] Wilma6116@gmail.com is offline

Free shipping! http://jupitervetproducts.com/stomachpumps.aspx
Old April 2nd 16, 03:32 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Thursday, March 17, 2016 at 2:17:42 AM UTC-4, The Real Bev wrote:
I bought some 'Coast' cheese from Costco a few months ago. When I found
it again in the back of the refrigerator it had acquired some blue mold
-- just like blue cheese. It's just on the surface and it tastes fine --
just like blue cheese. I think there's a handy hint in here somewhere...

--
Cheers,
Bev
Of course SoCal has four seasons:
Earthquake, Mudslide, Brushfire, and Riot

The obvious difference is that blue cheese is made by adding cultures
of safe, harmless bacteria. When it grows instead from whatever is picked up
from the air, God knows what the bacteria you wind up with really is.
Old April 26th 16, 09:23 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Dennis Dennis is offline

On Sun, 3 Apr 2016 12:23:47 -0700, The Real Bev
wrote:

Remember, SOMEBODY had to bury milk in a dunghill, dig it up and then
say "Hey, that looks good, I think I'll eat it."

Cheese actually originated from some of our ancestors putting milk
into drinking vessels made from cow or sheep stomachs, used when
traveling on horse, camel, whatever. The rennet left in there is
what curdled the milk into cheese. That's how most cheese is still
made today, using a renneting agent, while bacteria adds flavor.

So the dunghill thing is an urban legend? Damn!

I dunno, my dad used to tell of an old German farmer he knew in his
youth who aged his cheese in the manure pile. I think the desired
effect was more about the temperature of the composting manure (this
was in Minnesota) than any aroma/flavor imparted, though.

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm behind the eight ball, ahead of the curve, riding the wave,
dodging the bullet and pushing the envelope. -George Carlin
Old June 14th 16, 05:51 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected] Wilma6116@gmail.com is offline

On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 11:17:42 PM UTC-7, The Real Bev wrote:
I bought some 'Coast' cheese from Costco a few months ago. When I found
it again in the back of the refrigerator it had acquired some blue mold
-- just like blue cheese. It's just on the surface and it tastes fine --
just like blue cheese. I think there's a handy hint in here somewhere...

--
Cheers,
Bev
Of course SoCal has four seasons:
Earthquake, Mudslide, Brushfire, and Riot

You think that was delish? Read this:

Found: A 2,000-Year-Old, 22-Pound, Still-Edible Hunk of Bog Butter

In Emlagh bog in County Meath, Ireland, which was once at the juncture of three different kingdoms, a turf cutter has found a giant knob of “bog butter,” buried hundreds of years ago and preserved to this day.

“It did smell like butter,” one person who held the giant lump told UTV Ireland.

“Bog butter” is butter that has been buried in a bog. The Irish Times describes it as a “creamy white dairy product, which smells like a strong cheese.” The earliest known examples date back almost 2,000 years, but there are records of people burying butter as recently as the 1800s. This one is estimated to be an early example but will be studied further to date it.

Why would anyone bury butter in a bog? Often, to preserve it: butter made hundreds of years ago, without salt, wouldn’t last long, but the cool, low oxygen environment of the bog could extend its life. Bog butter is sometimes found encased in wooden containers or animal hide, to protect it as well.

More at : http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles...-of-bog-butter

Cheese calendar John Ferrier Free stuff (UK only) 0 December 9th 10 10:30 PM
Smoked cheese johannes UK discounts & bargains 15 January 24th 10 09:46 AM
Cheese Marsha[_2_] Frugal living 2 July 11th 08 02:00 PM
^*^*^ Swallowing Cheese ^*^*^* [email protected] Frugal living 0 June 3rd 07 08:47 PM
[?] Looking for "Old Sombrero" cheese David Chapman UK discounts & bargains 0 May 3rd 04 11:08 AM