Old July 6th 16, 02:42 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Old Frugal Living Posters

On Tue, 5 Jul 2016, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:

On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 7:47:19 PM UTC-5, wrote:

On Wednesday, February 11, 2009 at 8:47:12 AM UTC-8, Dawn wrote:

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 11:27:25 -0800 (PST), Kayak44
wrote:

I know Sewmaster has passed away, does anyone know about any of these
other posters? I know some may still be posting but I'm not on here
much.
Any others I have missed?

*Snip*

I'm still here. Just reading. When I went back to work it kind of
cut into my computer time.
Dawn, still laughing at Dennis, Harry and the Real Bev.

u got hacked

And you got suckered into replying to a nearly SIX
YEAR OLD thread.

He didnt' get suckered, he made a fool of himself by replying to the old
thread. He needed no help.

Michael

Old July 6th 16, 04:27 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_6_] The Real Bev[_6_] is offline

wrote:

I know Sewmaster has passed away, does anyone know about any
of these other posters? I know some may still be posting but
I'm not on here much. Any others I have missed?

*Snip*

I'm still here. Just reading. When I went back to work it
kind of cut into my computer time. Dawn, still laughing at
Dennis, Harry and the Real Bev.

u got hacked

And you got suckered into replying to a nearly SIX YEAR OLD
thread.

He didnt' get suckered, he made a fool of himself by replying to the
old thread. He needed no help.

Look, many of us will take anything we can get! Facebook is really no
substitute.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Mr Panetta also revealed that the US Navy Seals made the final
Old July 6th 16, 07:14 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:

I know Sewmaster has passed away, does anyone know about any
of these other posters? I know some may still be posting but
I'm not on here much. Any others I have missed?

*Snip*

I'm still here. Just reading. When I went back to work it
kind of cut into my computer time. Dawn, still laughing at
Dennis, Harry and the Real Bev.

u got hacked

And you got suckered into replying to a nearly SIX YEAR OLD
thread.

He didnt' get suckered, he made a fool of himself by replying to the
old thread. He needed no help.

Look, many of us will take anything we can get! Facebook is really no
substitute.

Well I was unfrugal in June.

I was at a rummage sale and got the CD soundtrack for "Jesus Christ
SUperstar", but then when I got home realized it was only one of the two
CDs. The missing CD has the better songs. I'm less worried about the
dollar spent on this than the incompleteness, was the other CD there and I
just didn't see it?

At the same sale, I finally bought a minidisc player. No price on it, I
offered five dollars and got it. It was never something I was interested
enough in spending money on, but there is a novelty to it. I get home and
realize I didn't pay enough attention, this "minidisc recorder" has no
audio input, it "records" over the USB line. So not very useful
especially since I've never seen commercially recorded minidiscs around
(though I gather they sold them).

The next week at a garage sale in a light rain I find another minidisc
player, but this one has audio input (line level rather than microphone)
so I offer five dollars and get it. So I sort of wasted the first five
dollars, but I let other people spend the big money on buying them new.

Michael

Old July 7th 16, 12:31 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected] Beaver_Fever@live.com is offline

wrote:

I know Sewmaster has passed away, does anyone know about any of these
other posters? I know some may still be posting but I'm not on here
much.
Any others I have missed?

*Snip*

I'm still here. Just reading. When I went back to work it kind of
cut into my computer time.
Dawn, still laughing at Dennis, Harry and the Real Bev.

u got hacked

And you got suckered into replying to a nearly SIX
YEAR OLD thread.

Suckered? I knew it was 6 years old, dummy.
Old July 7th 16, 12:33 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:

[...]

Minidisc? They haven't made those in years, everyone used digital flash drive recorders now.

Any DAT players at these garage sales?

At a thrift store I spent $2 on a Cannonball Run DVD box set that was missing the actual movies with the bonus discs only. I think I am going to just sneak it back on the shelf.

Old July 7th 16, 03:43 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_6_] The Real Bev[_6_] is offline

On 07/06/2016 11:14 AM, Michael Black wrote:

Well I was unfrugal in June.

Me too, except maybe not. A 2013 Corolla. It should last beyond my
lifetime based on the Caddy's performance.

[...]

You should have offered $2. I hate having my first offer accepted
immediately :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
"If Mary Jo could float I would have been president."
Old July 7th 16, 04:19 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

[...]

This is actually a step forward.

I really don't like it if a place doesn't put prices on things, I guess I
imagine it's out of range. But I seem to be changing, willing to make an
offer. I got a pair of Cobra FRS walkie talkies last summer, to play with.
It was some fundraiser, they were in with the toys and no charger, so I
offered five dollars. I guess it's low enough that I don't mind paying,
but high enough that it's acceptable for many. I've yet to try them as
walkie talkies, it turns out this pair includes the weather radio
channels, so they are great for that. The reception is much better than
the Grundig windup radio I found on a pile of garbage a few years ago (the
windup feature is nice, but it's no longer useful for receiving TV audio
since tv went digital). Reception on the windup radio is noisy, while on
these FRS walkie talkies, reception is great. Assuming they can be had
for five (or two) dollars, it is a frugal way to get a weather radio, and
then there's always the two way fuction on top.

But I seem to be offering five dollars here and there. I suppose I could
try lower, but I wasn't in the mood to haggle.

Michael

Old July 7th 16, 06:25 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

On 07/06/2016 08:19 PM, Michael Black wrote:
[...]

Back when I was doing surveys, I got a pair of very nice FRS
walkie-talkies (possibly Cobra, possibly Motorola, it's been a while)
for free. Never had occasion to use them, but their batteries stayed
charged for over a year. Never can tell when they might come in handy...

But I seem to be offering five dollars here and there. I suppose I could
try lower, but I wasn't in the mood to haggle.

We always offer a price that we'd be glad to get the thing for. Usually
works, but there are some people who really don't understand the concept
of castoff-valuation. We went to one sale where everything was a
quarter, no matter what. We wanted to pay the guy more than that for
what we bought, but he'd only take a quarter. Gave new meaning to
"priced to move".