Old January 8th 08, 07:53 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default how to catch a clever mouse?

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 10:43:14 -0800 (PST), Seerialmom
wrote:

Look for any entrance holes and plug with steel wool.

Don't waste your time with fine wool. They'll pull it out strand by
strand.

--Vic

Old January 8th 08, 08:44 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
George Grapman[_1_] George Grapman[_1_] is offline

The last time I saw infestation I purchased some glue traps. A few
hours later I heard a rattling sound on the floor. A rat had been caught
and was dragging the trap around. Since he was large and alive I went to
get a 2 by 4 to hit him on the head and at least knock him out. I
returned to the living room to find an empty trap sitting near the wall.
I went out immediately and purchased a dozen of the large poison
bars. The guy at the hardware store said to leave them until there were
no signs of two weeks. The next morning to of the bars were gone and
several others had obviously been chewed on. I never saw another sign of
infestation. Of course, this option is not good if you have pets or
small children.
Old January 8th 08, 08:48 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
George Grapman[_1_] George Grapman[_1_] is offline

Dennis wrote:
On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 07:18:25 -0500, "OhioGuy" wrote:

Can anyone suggest a better alternative to traditional mousetraps?
Something that will catch a mouse that seems smart and careful enough to
outwit a traditional trap?

Here is a different idea: I have a leftover piece of sheet vinyl
flooring stored in my workshop/barn (I'm sure I'll find a use for it
someday :-). In the meantime, it is rolled into a tube-shape about
2.5 ft. tall and stored standing upright on its end in a corner.

Every time I move the tube of flooring (usually rearranging junk or
looking for something else), I find at least one, sometime more, dead
dessicated mice at the bottom of the tube. Apparently, there is
something about it that is irresistable to curious mice.

Dennis (evil)

Reminds me of an accidental trapping. The plastic towel bar in the
bathroom kept coming out of its holder. One morning it was on the floor
and a a mouse was trapped inside. It was only open on one end so a took
a shopping bag, emptied the mouse into the bag, walked outside to the
storm drain on the corner and deposited the rodent.
Old January 8th 08, 09:44 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Rod Speed[_1_] Rod Speed[_1_] is offline

George Grapman wrote:
The last time I saw infestation I purchased some glue traps. A few
hours later I heard a rattling sound on the floor. A rat had been
caught and was dragging the trap around. Since he was large and alive
I went to get a 2 by 4 to hit him on the head and at least knock him
out. I returned to the living room to find an empty trap sitting near
the wall. I went out immediately and purchased a dozen of the large
poison bars. The guy at the hardware store said to leave them until there
were no signs of two weeks. The next morning to of the bars were gone
and several others had obviously been chewed on. I never saw another
sign of infestation.

Of course, this option is not good if you have pets or small children.

Its easy enough to put it where its out of the reach of either of those.

Old January 8th 08, 11:14 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
timeOday timeOday is offline

The Real Bev wrote:
max wrote:

In article , "OhioGuy" wrote:

Can anyone suggest a better alternative to traditional mousetraps?
Something that will catch a mouse that seems smart and careful enough
to outwit a traditional trap?

try the conventional traps with the big yellow plastic trigger paddle.
Place them in natural choke points. Eventually he'll screw up.

Whatever you use, bend something so that it has a hair trigger. They
don't all come from the factory properly-adjusted.

Yes, I was going to recommend NOT getting the plastic ones for just that
reason. You have to get the Victor trap with the metal cheese pedal,
and bend it like Bev said.

I also like to take a chunk from chunky peanut butter and lodge it into
the hole on the "cheese" pedal hoping the mouse will have to pull on it,
though I can't swear that makes a difference.

Old January 8th 08, 11:17 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
timeOday timeOday is offline

Logan Shaw wrote:
Last time I had "a" mouse, it turned out to be 9 of them. It was right
when the weather started getting really cold, so I guess they moved inside
for the heat.

I've found when you get a whole family, you know the job is almost done
when you start catching small (baby) mice. Kinda sad but true.
Old January 9th 08, 12:18 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply is offline

Rod Speed wrote:

Of course, this option is not good if you have pets or small children.

Its easy enough to put it where its out of the reach of either of those.

True, but if your cat or small dog catches one before it dies and
consumes it, your cat automatically gets a dose that could be toxic to
the pet.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.
Old January 9th 08, 12:55 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Rod Speed[_1_] Rod Speed[_1_] is offline

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Of course, this option is not good if you have pets or small children.

Its easy enough to put it where its out of the reach of either of those.

True, but if your cat or small dog catches one before it dies and consumes it, your cat automatically gets a dose that
could be toxic to the pet.

Unlikely, because the mouse is much smaller than a cat or dog.

Old January 9th 08, 03:53 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_1_] The Real Bev[_1_] is offline

max wrote:

In article , "OhioGuy" wrote:

Can anyone suggest a better alternative to traditional mousetraps?
Something that will catch a mouse that seems smart and careful enough to
outwit a traditional trap?

try the conventional traps with the big yellow plastic trigger paddle.
Place them in natural choke points. Eventually he'll screw up.

Whatever you use, bend something so that it has a hair trigger. They
don't all come from the factory properly-adjusted.

Attach a piece of apple (or cheese, the traditional bait) to the
bait-pad with several windings of thread. Smear the apple with peanut
butter.

For REAL neatness, place the trap business-end facing outward in a brown
paper lunch bag. If you see a tail protruding from the bag, pick the
bag up and throw the whole thing in the trash. If you have to re-use
mousetraps you're in bigger financial trouble than you thought.

--
Cheers, Bev
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old January 9th 08, 03:55 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_1_] The Real Bev[_1_] is offline

Bernardo Gui wrote:

I've had excellent luck with those sticky cards. They are cardboard,
with a very sticky glue on one side. Wal-Mart sells them, as well as
most other grocery and housewares stores. They cost a buck or two.

I put one under the stove and near a known mouse path. It took only a
few hours to catch the beast. He was too smart for traditional traps.
The house has been mouse-free ever since, but I am ready if any more
find a way in...

Did you kill it humanely? Give it to a cat as a toy? Just discard it?
That's the problem with live-catch traps...