Old March 22nd 05, 08:28 PM
ghbt

Default white dust from tap water in humidifier

Hi, during the winter months the air gets very dry in our house because of
using the central heating.

to make the air more moist we have been using a small humidifier, the type
that you put water in, and it puts a stream of cold mist into the air.

we have been using tap water in the humidifier and it seems to lay a white
dust on everthing nearby.

presumably that is the chalk in the tap water? (being in london u.k. the tap
water is quite hard [i.e. chalky].

is there a way to stop this dust. many thanks

Old March 22nd 05, 09:06 PM
Serendipity

ghbt wrote:

Hi, during the winter months the air gets very dry in our house because of
using the central heating.

to make the air more moist we have been using a small humidifier, the type
that you put water in, and it puts a stream of cold mist into the air.

we have been using tap water in the humidifier and it seems to lay a white
dust on everthing nearby.

presumably that is the chalk in the tap water? (being in london u.k. the tap
water is quite hard [i.e. chalky].

is there a way to stop this dust. many thanks

Assuming this is a portable humidifier and not a built in furnace model,
add vinegar to the water. The vinegar will serve two purposes by
ridding of the white dust and sweetening the air. HTH
Old March 22nd 05, 10:14 PM
waxhands

What is your ratio of vinegar to water, I like the idea?
Old March 22nd 05, 10:18 PM
ghbt

"Serendipity" wrote in message
ghbt wrote:

Hi, during the winter months the air gets very dry in our house because
of using the central heating.

to make the air more moist we have been using a small humidifier, the
type that you put water in, and it puts a stream of cold mist into the
air.

we have been using tap water in the humidifier and it seems to lay a
white dust on everthing nearby.

presumably that is the chalk in the tap water? (being in london u.k. the
tap water is quite hard [i.e. chalky].

is there a way to stop this dust. many thanks

Assuming this is a portable humidifier and not a built in furnace model,
add vinegar to the water. The vinegar will serve two purposes by ridding
of the white dust and sweetening the air. HTH

thanks for all responses. with filtering, what would i use as a filter
please? it is a portable humidifier. what percentage of vinegar 'to' water
would that be please? many thanks.

Old March 22nd 05, 10:28 PM
Lucy

"diddy" wrote in message
in thread news whittled the following words:

is there a way to stop this dust. many thanks

Use rainwater or distilled water. Or filtered water.

If you use distilled water, you may need to add a pinch of salt to get it to
heat up.
lucy

Old March 22nd 05, 11:46 PM
Bill 2

ghbt wrote:

[...]

Products similar to:

http://www.brita.co.uk/action/home/

Old March 22nd 05, 11:53 PM

ghbt wrote:

[...]

Whoa. There are some errors here.

Your "white powder" is mostly lime (Calcium oxide or CaO) and lime
compounds like calcium carbonate.

A filter will not filter out dissolved lime unless an expensive
reverse osmosis filter is used. Depending on the type, the other
filters filter out suspended particles, use redox to convert some
contaminates into hydroxides, or in the case of carbon filters, absorb
volatiles that have more affinity to the carbon than the water.

Adding vinegar (CH3COOH) to water will not remove the lime. It will
reduce the hardness or "sweeten" it by making more calcium carbonate
(CaCO3) and adding acid, but when the water is all evaporated, the
white residue will still be there.

Adding salt to distilled water in a "cold" humidifier won't help. A
"cold" humidifier sprays the water, often in microscopicly small
droplets created by cavitation from an ultrasonic vibration, whereas a
"vaporizer" used to help people with colds uses electrodes immersed in
water to heat and boil the water. Adding salt there increases the
current flow and heating ability.

A "cold" humidifier can be a breeding ground for germs, which it then
sends into the air. The effect is worsened when the water is not
changed out regularly and the container cleaned. Because of the heat
and method of evaporation, vaporizers avoid this, but can suffer more
lime buildup.

The short answer is to use distilled water, reverse osmosis filtered
water, or rain water in a "cold" or ultrasonic humidifier.

Old March 22nd 05, 11:55 PM
Rod Speed

in thread m: "Lucy"

"diddy" wrote in message
in thread news whittled the following words:

is there a way to stop this dust. many thanks

Use rainwater or distilled water. Or filtered water.

If you use distilled water, you may need to add a pinch of salt to get
it to heat up.
lucy

Really? why?

If the heater for the water puts electricity thru the water to heat it up,
the distilled water wont conduct enough to heat up without the salt.

Old March 23rd 05, 12:07 AM
Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik

ghbt wrote:

Hi, during the winter months the air gets very dry in our house because

of
using the central heating.

to make the air more moist we have been using a small humidifier, the

type
that you put water in, and it puts a stream of cold mist into the air.

we have been using tap water in the humidifier and it seems to lay a

white
dust on everthing nearby.

presumably that is the chalk in the tap water? (being in london u.k. the

tap
water is quite hard [i.e. chalky].

is there a way to stop this dust. many thanks

Assuming this is a portable humidifier and not a built in furnace model,
add vinegar to the water. The vinegar will serve two purposes by
ridding of the white dust and sweetening the air. HTH

As usual dip**** (serendipity) you dont know what your talking about.....
To the original poster, "cold mist" humidifiers work with ultrasonic energy,
it literally "cracks" the minerals in the water. the use of distilled water
ONLY will stop the white powder.
"warm" type humidifiers WILL NOT produce the white powder at all. Distilled
is still preferred as you will get calcium and lime buildup in either
humidifiers.
Serendip**** is giving you BAD info, adding vinegar WILL NOT stop the dust,
will make the house smell like a salad..., but to trailer
trash.(Serendip****) thats a major plus.

Old March 23rd 05, 12:30 AM
dejablues

"diddy" wrote in message
in thread : "Rod Speed"
whittled the following words:

in thread m: "Lucy"

"diddy" wrote in message
in thread news whittled the following words:

is there a way to stop this dust. many thanks

Use rainwater or distilled water. Or filtered water.

If you use distilled water, you may need to add a pinch of salt to
get it to heat up.
lucy

Really? why?

If the heater for the water puts electricity thru the water to heat it
up, the distilled water wont conduct enough to heat up without the
salt.

Thank you

Cool mist humidifiers (which is what the OP apparently has) don't need heat
up.

Winter humidification wastes energy [email protected] Frugal living 261 May 14th 15 08:49 PM
Dome Home Community Idea W/ Solar Power & Water Reclamation George Berz Frugal living 44 August 15th 04 04:29 AM
[Fwd: H2O] ben Frugal living 12 February 19th 04 12:50 AM
Seeking info about MAYTAG Electric Water Heaters!!! Matthew Wanamaker Frugal living 4 January 25th 04 04:47 PM
Our church needs a water filter... SlugBug Frugal living 14 December 1st 03 04:20 AM