Old August 30th 04, 09:08 PM
Ben

Default key copying rip off

I needed to get a copy of a key made for a Ford Winstar. The basic copying at
Home Depot would cost around a dollar. Unfortunately, the key has a plastic
bit at the end containing a chip and the car can't be driven unless the car
detects that chip to avoid theft of the car (you could only open the door).
So it can only be copied at the dealer who wants to charge $30 to copy the key
and then a further $50 to "program" the chip so that the car can be driven. We
decided not to copy the key in the end.

Old August 30th 04, 09:12 PM
Bill Bonde ( ``Soli Deo Gloria'' )

Ben wrote:

I needed to get a copy of a key made for a Ford Winstar. The basic copying at
Home Depot would cost around a dollar. Unfortunately, the key has a plastic
bit at the end containing a chip and the car can't be driven unless the car
detects that chip to avoid theft of the car (you could only open the door).
So it can only be copied at the dealer who wants to charge $30 to copy the key
and then a further $50 to "program" the chip so that the car can be driven. We
decided not to copy the key in the end.

What's going to happen if you break that key off in the car door? Eighty
bucks might be a bargin then.

--
"Well, I just didn't want to get killed."

"Until people stop dying for freedom, they ain't going to be free."

-+Robert Altman, "McCabe & Mrs Miller"

Old August 30th 04, 09:26 PM

"Bill Bonde ( ``Soli Deo Gloria'' )" wrote in
message ...

Ben wrote:

I needed to get a copy of a key made for a Ford Winstar. The basic

copying at
Home Depot would cost around a dollar. Unfortunately, the key has a

plastic
bit at the end containing a chip and the car can't be driven unless the

car
detects that chip to avoid theft of the car (you could only open the

door).
So it can only be copied at the dealer who wants to charge $30 to copy

the key
and then a further $50 to "program" the chip so that the car can be

driven. We
decided not to copy the key in the end.

What's going to happen if you break that key off in the car door? Eighty
bucks might be a bargin then.

That's when you get the $1 Home Depot key and duck tape the end of the other
key around the $1 key. Back in bidness, and with an attractive key that
doubles as its own fob!
-Tock

Old August 30th 04, 09:34 PM
Joel M. Eichen

WoW!

Interesting!

So its a duplication-proof key, kinda.

JOEL

Old August 30th 04, 10:22 PM
Bill Bonde ( ``Soli Deo Gloria'' )

"Joel M. Eichen" wrote:

WoW!

Interesting!

So its a duplication-proof key, kinda.

I was going to suggest duplicating the key for one buck and using that
one for opening the doors only using the expensive one in the ignition.
Still won't help if you lose it though.

Old August 30th 04, 10:49 PM
Bobby

"Ben" wrote in message ...
I needed to get a copy of a key made for a Ford Winstar. The basic copying

at
Home Depot would cost around a dollar. Unfortunately, the key has a

plastic
bit at the end containing a chip and the car can't be driven unless the

car
detects that chip to avoid theft of the car (you could only open the

door).
So it can only be copied at the dealer who wants to charge $30 to copy the

key
and then a further $50 to "program" the chip so that the car can be

driven. We
decided not to copy the key in the end.

You paid for this 'feature' when you bought the car. If you don't want,
don't buy the
car in the first place.