#1   Report Post  
Old May 18th 16, 12:38 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
external usenet poster

First recorded activity by BargainBanter: Jun 2006
Default Mini "gold mine" in the woods of Maine!

Just heard about this...kind of weird that I should see the news in the Miami Herald first...but I suspect that it would be pretty hard to find a meteorite THAT big. (They tend to break into much smaller pieces than what the scientists are asking for, IIRC.)

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nati...e78170542.html
(includes video)

Associated Press

A meteor streaking across the New England sky captured attention in several states Tuesday – and was captured on video by several people and webcams.

The American Meteor Society reported more than 300 sightings in Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania and parts of Canada.

Portland police Sgt. Tim Farris was parked in front of the Central Fire Station when his camera captured the meteor lighting up the sky.

The shocked officer was heard saying, “Oh, my God!”

Webcams in Portsmouth Harbor in New Hampshire and at the Burlington Airport in Vermont captured the fireball. Video shot by another officer in New York and a motorist in Vermont also surfaced.

The Maine Mineral & Gem Museum suspects the meteor crashed into the woods of northwestern Maine, based on preliminary findings. It’s offering a $20,000 reward if someone recovers a piece of the meteorite weighing at least 2.2 pounds.

Lenona.