Old January 8th 08, 07:59 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected] me@privacy.net is offline

Default Lead in vacuum cleaner cord?

I recently bought a small Dirt Devil Dynamite vacuum.
After reading the manual carefully I found this
warning:

WARNING: THE CORDS, WIRES AND/OR CABLES SUPPLIED WITH
THlS PRODUCT CONTAINS CHEMICALS, INCLUDING LEAD OR LEAD
COMPOUNDS, KNOWN TO THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA TO CAUSE
CANCER AND BIRTH DEFECTS OR OTHER REPRODUCTIVE HARM.
WASH HANDS AFTER USING

Took the unit back and bought a similar vac form
Hoover.... but had the SAME warning in the manual!

What gives? Why would they market/sell a unit with
such a toxic chemical in it?

Old January 8th 08, 08:44 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Rod Speed" wrote:

Why would they market/sell a unit with such a toxic chemical in it?

They dont, lead isnt a toxic chemical in that sense.

How so Rod?

If I'm handing the cord and get it on my hands.... am I
not exposing myself to some risk?
Old January 8th 08, 08:44 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

Dennis wrote:

What gives? Why would they market/sell a unit with
such a toxic chemical in it?

Perhaps in the solder used in the electrical connections?

Possible I suppose

Old January 8th 08, 10:24 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Al Bundy[_1_] Al Bundy[_1_] is offline

wrote:
I recently bought a small Dirt Devil Dynamite vacuum.
After reading the manual carefully I found this
warning:

WARNING: THE CORDS, WIRES AND/OR CABLES SUPPLIED WITH
THlS PRODUCT CONTAINS CHEMICALS, INCLUDING LEAD OR LEAD
COMPOUNDS, KNOWN TO THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA TO CAUSE
CANCER AND BIRTH DEFECTS OR OTHER REPRODUCTIVE HARM.
WASH HANDS AFTER USING

Took the unit back and bought a similar vac form
Hoover.... but had the SAME warning in the manual!

What gives? Why would they market/sell a unit with
such a toxic chemical in it?

There is lead in some of the wiring connections and several places in
the motor itself. The amount is small and you are never in contact
with it.
Be more afraid of the dust you are taking into your lungs while using
any vacuum. What are you doing about that? Nothing, I bet.
Old January 8th 08, 11:22 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected] hchickpea@hotmail.com is offline

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 13:59:01 -0600, wrote:

I recently bought a small Dirt Devil Dynamite vacuum.
After reading the manual carefully I found this
warning:

WARNING: THE CORDS, WIRES AND/OR CABLES SUPPLIED WITH
THlS PRODUCT CONTAINS CHEMICALS, INCLUDING LEAD OR LEAD
COMPOUNDS, KNOWN TO THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA TO CAUSE
CANCER AND BIRTH DEFECTS OR OTHER REPRODUCTIVE HARM.
WASH HANDS AFTER USING

Took the unit back and bought a similar vac form
Hoover.... but had the SAME warning in the manual!

What gives? Why would they market/sell a unit with
such a toxic chemical in it?

First, the statement presumes that the STATE OF CALIFORNIA has somehow
become sentient. I sincerely doubt that has occured. Secondly, it
assumes that the STATE OF CALIFORNIA is somehow able to predict your
future health issues, which it cannot. Thirdly, it assumes that
people take STATE OF CALIFORNIA as an authority. I do not.

The STATE OF CALIFORNIA can sit on it and spin. I lived through the
era of lead in gasoline, have at least 300 pounds of lead in various
forms (mostly batteries) in various equipment and locations, have
soldered water pipes with lead solder, have cast lead, have reloaded
cartridges, and used lead weights while diving. A little lead solder
or lead in PVC in a rarely used appliance ain't goina kill me or
anyone else.

Why would someone market a product with such a toxic chemical?
Hopefully to **** off the nanny government in the STATE OF CALIFORNIA.

Old January 9th 08, 01:02 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Seerialmom Seerialmom is offline

On Jan 8, 3:22*pm, wrote:
[...]

Hopefully to **** off the nanny government in the STATE OF CALIFORNIA.- Hide quoted text -

The nanny government you mention also gave out lunch bags with "lead
paint" used to decorate it.
and the group that gave them out were from the Dept. of Health "Eat 5
A Day" council. Tried to find an original article but kept running
into these other sites that just referenced the article.
Old January 9th 08, 02:04 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Mary Mathews Mary Mathews is offline

Default Lead in vacuum cleaner cord? Lead Crystal Glasses?

Has anyone heard any discussion of using lead crystal glasses, etc?
Thanks. Mary