Old July 1st 06, 09:04 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected] ldbrummet@yahoo.com is offline

Default Trash Talk - a book for those concerned with reaching Zero Waste

About Trash Talk
ISBN#1-4137-2518-X

Website: http://www.sunshinecable.com/~drumit

People are constantly bombarded with negative information about the
environment and our resources. Feeling powerless because we cannot
afford to donate cash or time to a cause, we begin to feel overwhelmed
by the immense environmental problems our world faces. In Trash Talk,
we focus on changing people's mindset to a more open, hopeful and
proactive one. Not by finger-pointing at corporations and governments,
but by starting in our own homes, at our own desks.
Trash Talk began as a series of articles that focused on ways the
average person can make small changes to do their part for the Earth.
We compiled all the articles and other information that we could not
fit in the limited space of our bi-weekly column into this book. Trash
Talk embarks on frugal and conscious living techniques for the
individual. We focus on the reuse of "waste" materials and reducing the
consumption of resources. Trash talk is written to empower people to
feel more positive about their worth as individuals in a hectic,
expensive, environmentally stressed world. We show how to make a real
and visible difference, while saving money at the same time.
Trash Talk could be an excellent resource in the classroom for
recycling, environmental and gardening programs. Educators/caregivers
can use the book to teach gardening skills (seed saving, composting,
tree planting) and Vermiculture (worm composting) - the students can
build their own worm bin and learn from the "worm farm". (Did you know
that compost worms (red wigglers) can produce 2,000-9,000 babies
annually?) Craft websites are listed for artistic projects using
"waste" items. The book could be used as a tool for probing young minds
to come up with original reuse ideas or environmental activities that
the group can participate in. 140 resources listed at the back of the
book will lead educators and individuals to new information and ideas.
Trash Talk is at the Grade 10 level of reading, however, in the hands
of a teacher the concepts and projects can easily be implemented as
early as Grade 4.
Trash Talk has been globally received and locally embraced. Eagle
bulletin (South Africa), Conservation and Recycling Journal
(Netherlands), Scrap Magazine (UK), Natural Life Magazine (Canada) and
Alternatives Magazine (USA) - are some examples of this global support.