Old May 2nd 05, 08:30 AM
Dave Hall

Default That Tesco wine deal (Rather long - sorry)

I received this email yesterday which was predicted by 'Bert':-

Subject: Tesco.com - Changes to your Winestore warehouse order.

Dear Mr Hall,

Thank you for shopping at the Winestore warehouse. Unfortunately we have
been unable to obtain the item(s) below and will not be able to deliver them
to you.

Order number: 5377716
Received on: 25 April 2005, 18:31:00.

Evolution Semillon Chardonnay 75c 6 75cl 1 17.04 17.04Veo
Grande Cabernet Sauvignon Shiraz 75cl 6 75cl 2 17.04 34.08
We are sorry that we have been unable to fulfil your order on this occasion
and hope that we can be of service to you in the future.

Any questions?

If you have any questions, please visit our online a
href="http://www.chartshop.tesco.com/p.aspx?id=chartshopHelp"
xmlns:msxsl="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt"help./a

If you have any further queries about your order, please a
"
xmlns:msxsl="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt"email customer services/a or
telephone our Customer Helpline on
0845 722 55 33.

Kind regards,
The Tesco.com Team

Here is a copy of my reply:-

Thank you for this email which I find very strange. My local Tesco stores
(Haverfordwest, Pembroke Dock and Milford Haven) all have huge stocks of
these particular wines. I shall supply photos, if you like?

The one in Haverfordwest has cases stacked 6 high with labels and banner
posters advertising the discounted prices.

I believe that the stock is NOT unavailable as you state, but that your
system which allowed me to get wine at a cut price has embarrassed a company
that made profits of over two billion pounds last year
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4435339.stm)

Also, the link that you provided
(http://www.chartshop.tesco.com/p.aspx?id=chartshopHelp) didn't work, so I
was unable to ask any questions.

You may also be interested to know that your actions were predicted by the
alt.consumer.uk-discount.and.bargains newsgroup when I reported that I had
ordered what I believed to be a genuine offer to buy wine at a discounted
price. Below is a copy of the item that I reported on 26th April:-

"I had an email from Tesco about up to 50% off a case of wine. I ordered a
case of Chardonnay and one of Cab Sav/Shiraz. Then I looked at the Hot
Deals (http://www.hotukdeals.com/Article742.phtml) web site and found the
details of discount vouchers. I tried several until I got one to work that
was for 15 off an order of 50. I added an extra case of red to make the
order up to 51.12. Add delivery of 5 to make 56.12; remove discount of
15 and I have 18 bottles of plonk being delivered next Tuesday between 9
and 11 for 41.12. That's 2.28 a bottle. Thanks, Tesco."

And here is a comment that was also posted on the same day:-

"Keep in mind that 24 hours before delivery you can receive an email
informing you that part of your order is cancelled. This happened to me on
the last 3 occasions with Tesco Wine. They don't cancel your vouchers.

Bert."

It seems that this is a regular occurrence when Tesco decide that someone
has managed to get a better deal than the one being offered.

Naturally, I shall be posting to the newsgroup of your reaction to my order
and so confirm the prediction made by Bert.

In future, I shall be very sceptical about so-called "Special offers" that I
receive as emails. I seems that Mr Blair is not the only one being accused
of lying to the people, lately!

Thanks for nothing,

Mistrall

--
Dave & Viv are living happily ever after in Pembrokeshire.
http://www.daviv.com Videos of badgers and foxes on our patio

Old May 2nd 05, 09:31 AM
Phil

Hi Dave

nice of you to post this, I spend hours trying to order the right stuff
after a little research but had problems with the codes and didn't bother in
the end. Glad about it really if it would of been knocked back by this
shoddy outfit.

Old May 2nd 05, 12:43 PM

On Mon, 02 May 2005 07:30:04 GMT, "Dave Hall"
wrote:

I received this email yesterday which was predicted by 'Bert':-

If they weren't already looking at the bargain sites - with a view to
blocking any unfortunate (for them) deal combinations - it seems
likely that after receiving your email pointers someone at Tesco.com
now WILL be.

Result?

--
Benedict
Old May 2nd 05, 12:43 PM
Robin

Thanks for nothing,

Did they take your money? If no, then you lost nothing.

Old May 2nd 05, 02:22 PM
[news]

Robin wrote:
Thanks for nothing,

Did they take your money? If no, then you lost nothing.

apart from what is defined legally as 'loss of bargain'

RT

Old May 2nd 05, 04:55 PM
Gaz

"[news]" wrote in message
Robin wrote:
Thanks for nothing,

Did they take your money? If no, then you lost nothing.

apart from what is defined legally as 'loss of bargain'

RT

absolute bollox - loss of bargain can only occur if you have a contract -
as they never took any of your money then no contract existed!

Old May 2nd 05, 08:26 PM
Bert

Most of those so called special offers are also available in the stores. You
normally pay a bit more (I had to pay 1 more on 50 of goods, compared to
email offer)|, but you know much sooner if they have it in stock. BTW This
is not only a problem with the wine from Tesco. I wanted easter eggs easter
time. They could not deliver any through the online shop.

Bert.

Old May 2nd 05, 09:17 PM
oO

"Robin" wrote in message
. uk...
Thanks for nothing,

Did they take your money? If no, then you lost nothing.

Cue the usual defenders of the coporations....

Old May 2nd 05, 09:57 PM
ts

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
It seems that this is a regular occurrence when Tesco decide that someone
has managed to get a better deal than the one being offered.

The better deal would be to go and buy your wine elsewhere. Most of Tesco's
cheap wine is absolute crap. Especially the stuff that appears on "Special
Offer". Not worth 2 a bottle. Mind you, I suppose the same could be said
for most of what Tesco sell.

ts