Old May 2nd 05, 12:09 AM
equinox

In article ,
says...

wrote in message
ups.com...
These offers work by assuming a certain number of poeple will forget to
claim after 5 years. By actually writing to you without being
approached is very unusual. Make sure they don't ask you to pay any
money eg. a 'processing fee' although as I read it I think they are
expecting you to buy something from them and give you a 'discount' to
the value of you freeview box. They might be totally unrelated to the
company who gave you the 5 year offer - you should check. I would avoid
if this is the case.

Yes they say they have a large range of electrical goods to choose from, and
will deduct the value of the voucher, what I cannot understand is, it is
nearly a year since the 5 years were up, and when I tried to claim from the
original company who issued the voucher I was told as this company no longer
operate I had no claim, so where this has come from nearly a year later, I
am at a loss to comprehend, how do these people get all my details ? what
gives the issuer of the original voucher the right to disclose my details to
another party, is this lawful? I know I am off topic before I start getting
flack, but I am so worried about this, Thanks for all help given, I
appreciate it Beth.

You have up to six years to get a refund if you pursue the credit card
company - so hurry.

Companies sell lists of names and addresses every day. Chances are you
gave them permission to do this by failing to tick an insignificant
looking box in the contract. If not, you can pursue it with the
Information Commission but you're probably wasting your time.

Just ignore it and file it in the bin like everyone else does.

Eq.

Old May 2nd 05, 10:01 AM
Moon~Shadow

"beth" wrote in message

If the company no longer exists and was taken over by another company ALL
conditions and guarantees are transferred to the new company, who have a
responsibility by law to honour this.

I had a similar problem with Comet, bought a pc, didn't claim in five years,
would get my warranty money back - about 300. Sent it off and was told I
was a day late as they had moved address and had had the letter (recorded)
sent on. I kicked up, threatened legal action (only coz I was studying Law
and knew my rights) and within three days I got my cheque, apology etc.

Good Luck.

Old May 2nd 05, 12:37 PM
[email protected]

On Mon, 2 May 2005 10:01:23 +0100, "Moon~Shadow"
wrote:

If the company no longer exists and was taken over by another company ALL
conditions and guarantees are transferred to the new company, who have a
responsibility by law to honour this.

Which law or set of laws guarantees this, please.

--
Benedict
Old May 2nd 05, 12:44 PM
Bal

"Moon~Shadow" wrote in message

"beth" wrote in message

If the company no longer exists and was taken over by another company ALL
conditions and guarantees are transferred to the new company, who have a
responsibility by law to honour this.

I had a similar problem with Comet, bought a pc, didn't claim in five
years, would get my warranty money back - about 300. Sent it off and was
told I was a day late as they had moved address and had had the letter
(recorded) sent on. I kicked up, threatened legal action (only coz I was
studying Law and knew my rights) and within three days I got my cheque,
apology etc.

Good Luck.

How recent was your claim and was the original address in Harrow. Just that
I also have a claim back due in August and don't want to leave anything to
chance.

Cheers

Bal

Old May 2nd 05, 01:29 PM
Moon~Shadow

How recent was your claim and was the original address in Harrow. Just
that I also have a claim back due in August and don't want to leave
anything to chance.

Cheers

Bal

Claim would have been about 3 years ago, can't remember address where
original paperwork was sent but it was a totally different county. Sorry

Old May 2nd 05, 01:38 PM
Bal

"Moon~Shadow" wrote in message

How recent was your claim and was the original address in Harrow. Just
that I also have a claim back due in August and don't want to leave
anything to chance.

Cheers

Bal

Claim would have been about 3 years ago, can't remember address where
original paperwork was sent but it was a totally different county. Sorry

ahh ok, thought it was recent. Will give them a ring tomorrow and confirm
the address.

Bal

Old May 3rd 05, 09:13 AM
Londoncityslicker

Sounds like a bit of a con.

All they are doing is using your feelgood factor by claiming to offer
your money back if you buy one of their products.
You'll probably find that the product you choose will end up being just
as cheap on other t'internet sites featured in this group.
(that's not to say that you may not find a bargain, so have a look
anyway)

Other companies do this buy saying you've won a prize and giving you
information such as your name and address or mobile to
make them seem legit. They then go on to try to sell you something in
addition to your "prize" - So you win some flights but they
go on to sell insurance, hotels, transfers etc. In the heat of the
moment some poor peope seccumb to their charms.

As a previous poster has said you will probably find they got your
details as you didn't tick a box in the fine print saying
you didn't want it passed onto other companies.

A.