Reviving dried-out typewriter ribbon

Old August 5th 08, 12:45 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Jack Ricci

Default Reviving dried-out typewriter ribbon

I have a Royal portable typewriter with an installed black ribbon and a
spare ribbon. Both ribbons have totally dried out in spite of being
packed in a plastic bag. Is there a way to bring life back to them,
especially the new one, as they cost nearly 10 dollars for the plain
black ribbon? WD40? Stamp pad ink? Rubbing alcohol? Water? Anyone has
any idea for me? I would like to be able to bring the typewriter back to
life, in case of an emergency where electricity would not be available.
Thank you for any help.

Jack
Old August 5th 08, 12:56 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Rod Speed[_1_]

Jack Ricci wrote:
I have a Royal portable typewriter with an installed black ribbon and
a spare ribbon. Both ribbons have totally dried out in spite of being
packed in a plastic bag. Is there a way to bring life back to them,
especially the new one, as they cost nearly 10 dollars for the plain
black ribbon? WD40? Stamp pad ink? Rubbing alcohol? Water?
Anyone has any idea for me?

Chuck the typewriter in the dumpster and get a printer for the PC for peanuts.

I would like to be able to bring the typewriter back to life,
in case of an emergency where electricity would not be available.

Just get a portable printer for the laptop.

Old August 5th 08, 01:45 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Seerialmom

On Aug 4, 4:45*pm, Jack Ricci wrote:
I have a Royal portable typewriter with an installed black ribbon and a
spare ribbon. Both ribbons have totally dried out in spite of being
packed in a plastic bag. Is there a way to bring life back to them,
especially the new one, as they cost nearly 10 dollars for the plain
black ribbon? WD40? Stamp pad ink? Rubbing alcohol? Water? Anyone has
any idea for me? I would like to be able to bring the typewriter back to
life, in case of an emergency where electricity would not be available.
Thank you for any help.

Jack

Not sure about reviving the existing ribbons, but I'd think if you got
a "fresh" ribbon and packed it in an air-tight bag it could survive.
You could experiment with the stamp pad ink though.
Old August 5th 08, 01:45 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Gary Heston

In article ,
Jack Ricci wrote:
I have a Royal portable typewriter with an installed black ribbon and a
spare ribbon. Both ribbons have totally dried out in spite of being
packed in a plastic bag. Is there a way to bring life back to them,
especially the new one, as they cost nearly 10 dollars for the plain
black ribbon? WD40? Stamp pad ink? Rubbing alcohol? Water? Anyone has
any idea for me? I would like to be able to bring the typewriter back to
life, in case of an emergency where electricity would not be available.
Thank you for any help.

Most inks used in typewriter ribbons are oil or grease based. The more
volatile components (i.e., solvents) have evaporated, so that's what
needs to be replaced. A light touch with the WD-40 might work (that was
an old trick with dot-matrix printers which used fabric ribbons).

However, typewriter ribbons are still available from places like Office
Depot. You'll get better results by buying a couple of new ribbons and
keeping them in your freezer, so they don't dry out.

Gary

--
Gary Heston http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

Why is it that these days, the words "What idiot" are so frequently
followed by the words "at Microsoft"?
Old August 5th 08, 01:48 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Seerialmom

On Aug 4, 4:45*pm, Jack Ricci wrote:
I have a Royal portable typewriter with an installed black ribbon and a
spare ribbon. Both ribbons have totally dried out in spite of being
packed in a plastic bag. Is there a way to bring life back to them,
especially the new one, as they cost nearly 10 dollars for the plain
black ribbon? WD40? Stamp pad ink? Rubbing alcohol? Water? Anyone has
any idea for me? I would like to be able to bring the typewriter back to
life, in case of an emergency where electricity would not be available.
Thank you for any help.

Jack

One other thought, find some "carbon paper". Of course you need to be
extra cautious as you type as you can't "erase" the carbon paper
characters you just typed. Best bet is to find one of them mom/pop
typewriter shops and see what they suggest.
Old August 5th 08, 11:37 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
terryc

On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 16:45:48 -0700, Jack Ricci wrote:

I have a Royal portable typewriter with an installed black ribbon and a
spare ribbon. Both ribbons have totally dried out in spite of being
packed in a plastic bag. Is there a way to bring life back to them,
especially the new one, as they cost nearly 10 dollars for the plain
black ribbon? WD40? Stamp pad ink? Rubbing alcohol? Water? Anyone has
any idea for me?

WD40 worked on dotmatrix printer ribbons. Best if you can lightly spray
both sides of the rolled up ribbon, then let it sit for a couple of
weeks.

You could alsotry running them through a dot matrix ribbon re-inker.

Old August 5th 08, 06:07 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Cindy Hamilton

On Aug 4, 7:45*pm, Jack Ricci wrote:
I have a Royal portable typewriter with an installed black ribbon and a
spare ribbon. Both ribbons have totally dried out in spite of being
packed in a plastic bag. Is there a way to bring life back to them,
especially the new one, as they cost nearly 10 dollars for the plain
black ribbon? WD40? Stamp pad ink? Rubbing alcohol? Water? Anyone has
any idea for me? I would like to be able to bring the typewriter back to
life, in case of an emergency where electricity would not be available.
Thank you for any help.

So, what kind of emergency do you envision wherein electricity would
be
unavailable and yet typewriting would be important? If there's no
electricity,
I'm going to be worried about access to food, cash, and gasoline, not
whether
I can produce a neatly turned out "Send Help" message.

Cindy Hamilton
Old September 16th 08, 04:23 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Chief Thracian[_2_]

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 10:07:20 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

So, what kind of emergency do you envision
wherein electricity would be unavailable and
yet typewriting would be important?

You're a prisoner in a fortune cookie factory? :b

--
Steal This Blog!
http://www.gay-bible.org/steal