Boots free cholesterol tests

Old August 21st 04, 08:45 AM
altheim

"Chris Rockcliffe" wrote:
GwG19/8/04 5:01 PM

Has anyone called into a Boots the Chemist for a free cholesterol test?
I called in today, at the Eastwood, Nottingham, branch, and asked for a
test, here is a paragraph from their web page promoting this service.

QuoteIf you're concerned about your cholesterol or you're in any of
the risk categories for heart disease, simply call into a Boots pharmacy
and take advantage of our cholesterol testing and advice service. It's
quick and it's free and is completely private and confidential./Quote

Right said the assistant, just let me check the diary, yes sir, we can
do you a test on the 18th. October. Well, I am not sure about Boots, but
my definition of quick does not stretch to two months. There appeared to
be only one entry on each diary page, so are they only doing one test
per day?

(snip)

So let's see... have Boots the Chemist suddenly assumed the role of doctor
and nurse for the good of the nation's health and/or to help the National
Health Service? Of course not; they want you in their shops - the tests are
a loss leader - assuming that is that they actually do carry out some tests
at certain set times of the day.

Market research shows that almost anyone actually going into a chemist can
find something or other they need. In fact, a high percentage of people
just going to collect a prescription at a chemist, also buy proprietary
products. They want you to buy razor blades, elastoplasts, branded pain
killers, deodorant, pregnancy and cholesterol testing kits and panty liners
with wings or even a rowing machine.

The campaign may also be linked to Boots helping to market and sell a new
cholesterol level related drug/treatment. As cholesterol is also about age
and the campaign is targeting 45 years and older, it also helps market other
things like diet products and exercise bikes. But more importantly it's
called increasing shop visit frequency and increasing profitability by
getting more people into the store.

[...]

In that case, it would seem the marketing effort has failed to follow
through by ensuring the tests can actually be done as *implied*.
It's not good marketing to **** customers off.

--
altheim

Old August 21st 04, 10:22 AM
Graham Wilson

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 07:54:16 +0100, Walt Davidson
wrote:

Is an Amex card now subscription-free? It didn't used to be.

The particular version of the card that I hold is subscription free.

They do a range of different cards.

I have been very impressed with Amex as a customer.

When you phone customer services they answer immediately - no queues.

Graham

Old August 21st 04, 09:59 PM
Bri.

In ,
fast Moggy typed...

"altheim" wrote in message

In that case, it would seem the marketing effort has failed to follow
through by ensuring the tests can actually be done as *implied*.
It's not good marketing to **** customers off.

--
altheim

Not quite true,