I can't get food stamps

Old January 7th 04, 09:47 PM
Jon von Leipzig

"Edward" wrote in message igy.com...
I applied for food stamps with my local department of social services, and I
was told that I don't qualify since I have access to my retirement account.
Can this be possible?

I have been making regular cash withdrawals from my retirment account to
make ends meet. My wife now works full time, but we are still well-below
what we need. It's a struggle. Until I get a full time job, I wanted to
get some assiestance with food stamps.

Am I missing something here?

Yes you're missing something. You can look for a p/t job first. then
still have time for f/t job hunting.
If that's beneath you, then make the wife get an extra job.

Or... ask some street ppl, they know where all the free food is.
Orr....try fasting...

ps: what are you doing with your free time...soap operas/netsurfing ??
Old January 7th 04, 09:48 PM
Nina

"Gini" wrote
Our government's treatment of military families/veterans is despicable
(and I am one who believes in military intervention only for *bonafide*
matters
of national security--ie I'm not a hawk nor am I military or veteran) and
the fault lies at the feet of both political
parties. I am convinced that if the military were comprised of young

people
of wealthier backgrounds rather than blue collar kids, the treatment would
be very different.
The sacrifices these young folks make is incomprehensible to me and they
should not want for
anything in light of that sacrifice. (But, don't get me started ;-)

I agree.

Old January 7th 04, 10:09 PM
Mike M.

"Robert St. Amant" wrote in message

I was in that Macy's at the time; she was buying luxury goods for her
five kids, waiting in the Lincoln, which was parked in a handicapped
spot.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Intent on giving the inconsiderate woman a piece
of my mind, I followed her home. It turns out she lives *rent-free* in a
fancy beach-front villa. Yep, Uncle Sam pays for it. Go figure.

Sadly, many of these exclusive government-subsidized housing projects -
compliments of hard-working American taxpayers - are occupied by ungrateful
mooches. I tried my best to express this fact to the woman, but she
pretended to ignore me and slipped inside.

Much to my surprise, she soon returned. Armed with a large block of
government cheese, she attempted to hurl the weighty object at me. Some
people...

Mike

Old January 7th 04, 11:01 PM
Me

In article om,
"Edward" wrote:

I see your point. I am down to my last $10,000, then I will sell my house.
I was hoping to get relief now, at least with food, so that it would stretch
my last $10,000. $200 - $300 per month that I don't have to spend for food
can go toward paying for medications that my private insurance doesn't cover
because it's a pre-existing condition. I had to drop the company-extended
benefits (through the Cobra legislation) because after 9 months of paying
almost $1000 per month ... well, I ran out of money.

I don't see what's so terribly in getting "some" assistance from the
government when I have judiciously and regularly been making withdrawals
from my account. I recognize that now I am very biased toward that
assistance because I am almost running out of money. I recall when I used
to help out at soup kitchens that people are not necessarily lazy and drunk.
Some good people, maybe many good people, do run out of money to no fault of
their own.

I'll bounce back. I am just whining for now. Soon enough I will be in a
position of helping others again, and making sizeable contributions toward
the government budget that runs these programs that I can't use.

Best of luck to you. Perhaps you can take advantage of a soup kitchen if
there is one in your area. Maybe volunteer there in return for some
sustenance.